Chain saw

Old 06-10-21, 12:47 PM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Chain saw

I have a Husqvarna 18" chainsaw that is about 3 years old. It has been really good for me but today when I went to use it I couldn't get the chain to move. I took it apart where the chain goes around the sprocket and there's a metal ring on the cover that for some reason gets too tight. I am not sure why but if someone has an idea why it happened I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 06-10-21, 02:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
What metal ring?

I beat my chainsaw like it owes me money so I've had a few problems with the chain not moving. Here are some of the things I check.
1. Make sure the chain brake is not engaged. Yes, it sounds simple but start with the simple stuff.

2. Try a different chain. If you bound the saw and were pulling to get the saw free you might have kinked the chain. A kinked chain won't slide through the groove in the bar and can have trouble going around the drive sprocket.

3. Clean the drive sprocket area. Debris can sometimes get packed in around the drive sprocket and jam between spacer washers and the drive pulley messing with the clearances and cause it to bind.

Old 06-10-21, 04:36 PM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
but today when I went to use it I couldn't get the chain to move
Is the chainsaw brake engaged?

Old 06-10-21, 06:37 PM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Really sounds like the previous suggestions. The chain brake is engaged. That's the metal band you described.

Old 06-10-21, 06:54 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 53 Posts
Also, check for debris around the nose sprocket. If you've been using the nose of the bar/chain to get through a log, you can sometimes get wood chips in that sprocket & it'll bind up & wont spin. If the sprocket don't turn, your chain wont move. I sometimes have to use my pocket knife & dig in & around that sprocket to get small pieces out.

Old 06-11-21, 01:09 PM
E
The nose sprocket is loose as it always was so that eliminates that. Good suggestion though and I thought that might be the problem until I just took the saw apart and checked it. My problem seems to be with the brake. The brake handle is loose also but when I put the brake housing back on the chain will not move. That metal band inside seems to be my problem. Can someone tell me this: is that brake band supposed to be connected to something because mine is not. I see where the brake handle connects to the housing with a small gadget that has 3 ears (or whatever they're called). But what makes the brake work? That gadget with the 3 ears does not move but I know the handle connects to it. But what connects the handle to the brake band inside that housing? When I put the housing back on over the chain sprocket it doesn't seem to fit, which in turn disallows the chain sprocket to move.

Old 06-11-21, 01:31 PM
E
I'm happy to say that I got my saw fixed and running again. What I found was the chain brake (the metal band inside the housing) had to be reset so it would fit over the chain sprocket. I have no idea why it had to be reset but that is exactly was the problem. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Old 06-11-21, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 56 Votes on 51 Posts
The bar in front of your hand when you are cutting activates the brake if the saw kicks back to reduce chances of injury. All you do is pull the handle back towards you to reset it. It can easily be tripped just by moving it around or something getting laid on top of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: