carburetor on craftsman

Old 06-22-01, 08:12 PM
ripperdog3
Visiting Guest
i have a 5 hp craftsman mower with a eager 1 engine today i was cutting grass and it started sputtering and cut off the only way it would stay running is to keep the bulb pressed. is the carburetor hard to rebuild of is it better off to buy a new carburetor what in the carburetor would cause this problem

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 09:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Several Possibilities

Hello and Welcome Ripperdog3 to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

First thing to suspect is a plugged vent hole in the fuel tanks gasoline cap. If it's plugged, air cannot get into the fuel tank. As the fuel leaves, it creates a vacumm in the tank which starves the engine of fuel. The primer bulb overrides the vacumm and that is why the engine runs while your primming it.

Other possibilities are a restricted fuel line, fuel filter, stuck float or gummed up carb. Check them all.

Try running the engine without the fuel cap, If it runs well, you have the problem. If not, try the others.

Carb rebuilding kits are available at any lawn mower shop or directly from Sears. You'll need to know the basics of carb rebuilding also.

Check the archives, within this forum, for other postings and replies on this topic for further information.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. Rest assured and fully confident, the help I offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry, with this type of equipment and is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge...