Snapper Lawn Mower

Old 06-25-01, 06:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Need some help......I have a Snapper rear-motor riding lawnmower. Today, the main drive belt for the blade kept falling off. Is there some way of tightening the belt so that it doesn't keep falling off? Now it finally broke. So I need to buy a new one and put it on, but not sure how to put it on, and also want to make sure it's tightened correctly since it seems something needs to be adjusted so that it doesn't fall off again or maybe it was just old and stretched out. Dunno.........Thanks for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-01, 08:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Cellfnlady to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

The belt may have stretched but they are not prone to fall off until broken.

There is an item called a tensioning arm that maintains some tension on the belt. The arm is a metal rod, etc. that has a spring attached to it and a pulley. The pulley either rides on top of the belt pushing it in or inside the belt pushing it out. Either way it maintains tension on the belt.

There may also be round bent steel hooked or "L" shaped guides that the outter side of the belt slides against. These also guide and provide tensioning to the belt.

The most likely cause could be a weak or broken spring on the tensioning pulley arm. Could even be a missing pin etc. that fell of holding a tensioning device.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. Rest assured and fully confident, the help I offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry, with this type of equipment and is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge...

Old 06-28-01, 07:55 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Cellfnlady, Try a new belt. These Snapper belt systems are very simple and stable. If you have no obvious broken springs or rods and have to hold a pully out of the way to install a new belt that is probably all you need.....Mike