MTD Yard Machine drive belt issues

Old 04-13-22, 08:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
MTD Yard Machine drive belt issues

I own a 2000 Yard Machine with 42” deck. The lower drive belt was old and rotting away (probably the original). I swapped it out with a new belt, oem from MTD, and I know it to be the correct belt. My issue is that the new belt has a lot more slack than the old belt. After buttoning it all up I gave it a test drive and the belt would only
engage if I floored it. I then looked up in the manual and followed what it said for adjusting the tension. I adjusted the tensioner to have the least amount of slack as possible but the belt is still just as loose. Do any of you have any thoughts? I replaced the crankshaft pulley as well as the two idler pulleys. I also replaced the needle bearings in the variable speed pulley. Im honestly at a loss as I can’t find any other areas to adjust for this.

https://apps.mtdproducts.com/manuals/770-10131b.pdf

Old 04-14-22, 12:23 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Every belt and even pully manufacture makes their parts to slightly different dimensional sizes and that can add up to the way the parts engage each other.

I have a 48" walk behind mower with 3 belts and the main drive belt was a PITA getting it to fit.

I ended up getting several belts, all +/- 1" and trying them until I got the right one.

Old 04-14-22, 05:40 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Is there a way to verify variable speed pulley is fully expanding at speed? Can you compare ID of old and new belt?

Old 04-14-22, 08:08 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Can you compare ID of old and new belt?
You can but you stated that pulleys were changed so that may be a factor!

Old 04-14-22, 01:42 PM
M
I’ll have to dig the old belt out of the garbage when I get home. The new belt is 5/8” and 90.8” long. The engine pulley I replaced would be the only pulley with the v-grove that interfaces with the belt. I’m wondering if that might be the issue as it doesn’t engage unless it has max tension on the belt. I think the variable speed pulley is working correctly by what I can tell. I may order the OEM MTD pulley and see if that helps at all.

Old 04-15-22, 09:36 AM
M
I forgot to mention that I ordered a new engine pulley that is OEM from MTD. I’ll let you know if this remedies the issues.

Old 04-18-22, 09:29 PM
M
I installed the new pulley today and that was the issue. I put the off brand next to the OEM and the off brand ever so slightly seemed to have a tighter angle in the V channel. The new one engages the belt correctly and now has full range of speed. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: