mulch blade for 1979 lawnboy

Old 07-04-01, 07:24 AM
Visiting Guest
can I use a non-lawn boy blade? I have a 1979 model 4550, 21 inch "mulch-r-catch" in great shape and have difficulty finding lawnboy blades.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-01, 07:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Colm to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

Since the mower is of vintage age, any generic blade will do fine. Better yet, visit the local lawn mower shop for a better blade.

Mower blades come in various types. A mower such as yours wasn't designed for a 3 in 1 blade nor is the deck designed for mulching and cutting at the same time.

Therefore, a high lift gas cutting blade would be best and work best. These types of blades are used by gardeners because they want the added vaccum power to remove the cut blades, which helps to produce the best visual results.

A visit to any mower shop should prove to be worth the trip. Bring your old blade with you so the hole size can be matched up correctly.

Be absolutely positive to install the new blade correctly and secure it tighly. Any doubts, allow the mechanic to install the blade for you. Safety is worth the price paid.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. Rest assured and fully confident, the help I offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry, with this type of equipment and is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge...

Old 07-06-01, 08:55 PM
Visiting Guest
lawnboy blade

thank you, sir. Not only resolved my dilemma, but went extra step by giving useful and needed information.

Old 07-08-01, 06:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might want to contact Lawn Boy and ask about dealers in your area.

I just got finished reading a book about Briggs and Stratton's history (Tom B, you would like this book) and they boast about having parts for items over 25 years old and how they can "universalize" stuff for their machines.