22 year old Craftsman rider lawn mower, W/B&S engine

Old 06-18-22, 06:38 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
22 year old Craftsman rider lawn mower, W/B&S engine

B&S model 28N707. It just feels like its running hot. when it first starts up I get blue smoke for about the first minute. I noticed the other day the plug wire boot was melted of sorts. I replaced the boot and connector. I did an oil change W/30 weight. when I lower the throttle It doesn't seem to go down like it used to. and , as it always does, when I shut it off the last putt is a backfire bang.
a bit of history. The mice have been stuffing all kind of shreds of paper and I took off the top and screen cover and spent an hour clearing out nests and urine from around the top screened in area and around the carb sides. The air filter was OK but I replaced that too I started to think there MAY be something going on with the muffler. Its awfuly hot in the front area. When I saw the blue smoke coming out the front I thought the muffler must be bad, then I looked at the manual, and it is supposed to come out there... any ideas?

Old 06-19-22, 04:16 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Age is not an issue, but hours of use are. Only you can determine that. Keeping the engine free of grass, dirt, oil will maximize heat dissipation. Get an air compressor and blow it off after each use. Wash the engine with a water soluble de-greaser once a month. Good luck.

Old 06-19-22, 07:31 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Take the whole engine shroud off it is probably clogged with grass clippings and dust. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-19-22, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree with the above. Something to look for on the muffler is the valve cover can drip onto it from above and it leaves oil that will burn off when the muffler gets hot enough. Sometimes people think it's worn out rings and a bad motor when it's actually just a weeping gasket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: