Predator Auger Fuel Line Size?

Old 08-07-22, 03:23 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 150 Votes on 123 Posts
Predator Auger Fuel Line Size?

I have a Predator (Harbor Freight) 2 cycle auger (post hole digger). I have used it a few times without any issues. I crank it the 1st Saturday of every month to ensure it runs etc.
A couple of weeks ago, I needed to set a post so, I got out the ol' trusty auger and it wouldn't start. I had a young man here to help me with the days work & he opened the fuel tank to ensure there was enough fuel in it... & it was. But, he laid it on its side for a few seconds, stood it back up & it started right off, just as it normally does.

There are 2 little small fuel lines attached to the fuel cap. One of them was not very long. Only about 1 - 2" long. The other line was long enough to reach the bottom of the tank.
My helper said one line was broken off & wasnt able to reach the gas in the tank. I filled it up & it ran fine.

Based on this, I guess I need to replace the fuel line that has broken off. I just assumed one was a pick-up line & one was a return line. I didn't know the return line needed to be in the fuel for the engine to run. Ok, so maybe this one is the pickup line... If so, why is the other (return) line down to the bottom of the tank?

Anyway, at the end of the day, my question is, does anyone know what size fuel line I need to buy for this thing?

Old 08-07-22, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
The return line doesn't need to be in gas.
Just the supply line which usually has a filter on it to keep it at the bottom of the tank.

More than likely it would be a guess as to the size used.
I've eliminated that problem by buying the fuel line in bulk amounts for spare.
replacement fuel hose

Old 08-07-22, 06:26 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 150 Votes on 123 Posts
The return line doesn't need to be in gas.
I really didnt think it did so I'm not understanding why it wouldnt start.
It was primed, and about 1/4 full of gas (I dont put much in it cause I just crank it for 3 or 4 minutes once a month).
I put a little new, fresh gas in it.

When he laid it on its side, then set it back upright, it would run for maybe 5 - 10 seconds, then quit.
Once I filled it all the way up, it ran like it's supposed to.

I'll reiterate that the pickup line is all the way to the bottom of the tank. IMO, that cant be the return line. So it should have picked up 1/4 tank of gas. It always has.
The other one is only a couple of inches long inside the tank. Its got to be the return.

So, I'm kinda stumped. Its not a biggie I guess since it runs at least on a full tank. Long as it runs, I'm good. Just kinda got me stumped here because of the trouble shooting that has been done.

Old 08-08-22, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
In my limited experience.... a cracked primer bulb.

Old 08-08-22, 10:52 AM
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Look inside the tank and see if there is a filter with some fuel line on it. My bet is the short line is the pickup. It broke off the last time it was ran and the rest of it is in the bottom of the tank with the filter attached It is possible for the return to be low in the tank. It will still work that way..

Old 08-08-22, 11:01 AM
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Here is a kit on Ebay with line, filter, grommet, and primer bulbs as well as a spark plug.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/33400790800...QAAOSwBJ1go~qE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: