wood chipper problem

Old 11-29-22, 10:20 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood chipper problem

Took my Brushmaster out today to start it up and having a problem. When I used the pull cord to try and start it up, , the blades inside suddenly stops with a loud bang as if there was an obstruction. I took the hood off.. I can manually go in and turn the blade assembly counter-clockwise until I reach point where I can no longer turn it. Likewise, I can manually rotate the blade assembly clockwise until I get to a point where it stops. I can go about two rotatations in either direction. There doesnt appear to be anything blocking the blades. Once I get to the point where I caan no longer manually turn it, the pull cord is completely locked up. If I manually ' rewind' the blades, then I can use the pull cord but it too locks up. I hope I explained this well enough for someone to understand and help Thank you

Old 11-29-22, 10:29 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
the pull cord is completely locked up.
Sounds like the recoil is jammed up, not disengaging. Simple removal, if everything then rotates freely then look more at the recoil assembly.

Old 11-29-22, 10:44 AM
S
I took off the pull cord assembly, but the problem persists. I can rotate the blades in either direction 2-3 rotations

Old 11-29-22, 11:00 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Is the engine a 2 or 4 stroke? Does the chipper containing the blades connect directly to engine crankshaft?

Old 11-29-22, 11:06 AM
S
It is a brushmaster CH 8. I don't mix the oil and gas, so does that tell you if it's 2 or 4 stroke ? Yes, the blades connect directly to the crank shaft ( I believe)

Old 11-29-22, 11:33 AM
So if you have pulled the recoil then it's either something internal or external. I had a chipper a long time ago and recall getting a piece of wood stuck behind the cutting flywheel that I had to remove to clear it to move.

Old 11-29-22, 11:43 AM
S
It's odd that I can do 2-3 revolutions in either direction before it seizes up, (manually).I can go clockwise with very little effort until it stops and then I can go counterwise until it gets to the stopping point. It's an abrupt stop

Last edited by shug23; 11-29-22 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 11-29-22, 12:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I'm thinking a problem in the engine. Maybe something with the cam or valves going by the amount of turning you do before hitting the problem.

Remove the spark plug from the engine. That will make it easier to turn and for safety will prevent it from starting accidentally. Then remove the valve cover. Now turn the shredder/engine and watch what the valves. Do they move properly for a 4 stroke engine or does one or both valves never move?

Old 11-29-22, 12:28 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Long shot, but maybe a stuck or bent or broken valve? That would sort-of explain the multiple revolutions thing....
I'd pull the Impeller off the shaft and see if it acts the same.

Old 11-29-22, 12:39 PM
S
I did not do anything special as far as winterizing the machine....It worked fine last fall and today is the first day I've brought it out....I'll try what you suggest later...I was wondering if something is amiss with the crankshaft. It almost seems like I am winding something up until it cant be tightened any more (all the slack is out) and then I can reverse it and go the other way until the slack is out

Old 11-29-22, 01:09 PM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Do this once you have verified no external blockage. Remove spark plug and verify piston is moving up and down as you turn blades in opposite directions. If not, most likely seized piston or broken connecting rod. If piston moves up and down, gain access to the valve train and verify both valves are moving up or down as you turn blades in opposite directions. If not, most likely bent valve stem. If valves moves up and down, you will have to disassemble crankshaft housing to check for something hard between gear teeth.

Old 11-29-22, 03:09 PM
.It worked fine last fall and today is the first day I've brought it out
That is the odd thing, if engine was running with no indication of problems then storage should not induce problems.

One question that hasn't been asked, did/does the machine have oil?

Old 12-01-22, 03:22 AM
S
Yes. I'll probably end up taking the whole thing apart and then junking it, as the type of potential problems being discussed are way over my technical skill set to repair unless , in the process of dismantaling, I find something obvious

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: