OIL LEAK

Old 07-11-01, 02:41 PM
dntdualm130
Visiting Guest
Question

THANK YOU FOR TAKINGMY QUESTION,
I HAVE A SNAPPER MOWER, IT HAS A 6HP TECUMSEH ENGINE
MODEL # 0VRM60 218038 (D) D.O.M. 6128A
WHEN I STARTED IT TO MOW THE YARD OIL STARTED POURING OUT FROM UNDER THE PULLCORD AND FLY WHEEL ASSEMBLY. IT RAN GOOD UNTIL THIS PROBLEM OCCURED, COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS THE PROBLEM IS? IS IT A SEAL UNDER THE FLY WHEEL?
THANKS
CHARLIE

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-01, 06:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Charlie

First be sure the oil level is correct.

Then verify that the oil is in fact coming out from under the flywheel. Vertical crankshaft engines are not prone to oil leaks from under the flywheel but it could be.

You'll need to remove the engine/flywheel cover, clean the area, reinstall the cover, run the engine some and recheck for the exact location of the oil leak.

Also check which side the crankcase breather is on. That's a rectangular shaped cover on one side of the engine. If oil is coming out there, the breather could be restricted there or at the carb. Oil overfilling will flow out the breather also.

There is a crankshaft seal under the flywheel. The flywheel needs to be removed with a special puller to avoid breaking it.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. Rest assured and fully confident, the help I offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry, with this type of equipment and is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge...