carberator

Old 07-12-01, 06:02 PM
Visiting Guest
i have a murray walk behind mower with a tecumseh engine. 3.5 i believe/163cc. You have to prime it about twenty times just to get it to fire. Then it will run for about 2 seconds wide open, then just shut down. I think it starts on the gas that is primed into the cylinder, when it runs out it quits. after doing this about 7 times, it will start and stay running. i think it is being starved of gas, but then why does it start after a while and stay running. There is no manual throttle, or choke. could it be a simple carb adjustment? i need to know how i can fix that problem and if it is going to be expensive. I am not knowledgeble in carbs. any help would be great. Model:LEV100 / 335021C / WTPXS1631BA / DOM:8336J

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-01, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome bildo95 to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

These engines have a set engine speed and an automatic choke. No adjustment screws if memory serves me. Based upon the engine problem discription, the automatic choke must not be working or working correctly.

With a cold non running engine, if you remove the air filter and peer down the carb barrel, the choke isn't closed. It should be partially closed at least.

You'll have to prime the engine and peer down the carb barrel. What you should see is a closed choke plate yet still see fuel squirting into the carb barrel.

Not much fuel will be seen but a tiny amount with each prime. You may need a flashlight to see the fuel squirting in the barrel and be peering around or through the holes in the choke plate. You should also smell some too.

If the choke plate is wide open, it's the problem. The engine runs well after several startings because it warms up enough and no longer needs the choke closed.

The engine may have low compression. A wornout engine can also cause this problem.

If your not handy with tools and small engines, you may need to take it to the local lawn mower shop.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. Rest assured and fully confident, the help I offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry, with this type of equipment and is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge...

Old 07-13-01, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi bildo95. I dont know how far you want to go into the carb, but if you're willing to try it, take the bowl screw out. It's a screw at the bottom of the carb. Remove the bowl, and make sure it's clean. Also look on the screw. There are 2 tiny holes in it, which should be unrestricted. These tiny holes, and trash or water in the bowl cause the majority of problems in those carburetors. If Tom's advice didn't get you going, this would be the 2nd step. Hope it helps! chuck.