Cub Cadet 3X 26" Snow Thrower Won't Start

Old 11-27-23, 01:50 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Cub Cadet 3X 26" Snow Thrower Won't Start

I replaced the spark plug and I put fresh fuel in. The gas from last season was run out. It sound like it is not getting fuel, I not getting any sound from the spark plug.

I don't have a clue and of course a snow storm warning is in effect. Lucky me.

Old 11-27-23, 02:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
Fuel, compression & spark. That's what an engine needs.

spark: Did you check for spark before replacing the plug? Are you now getting spark at the plug? I very rarely see a problem with a spark plug. But, you should verify that you are getting spark at the plug since it's so easy to check.

fuel: Old fuel gumming up the carburetor is possibly the most common problem. No, spraying a can of carb cleaner usually doesn't work because the clogs are on the inside. You may have to remove and at least partially disassemble the card. Make sure that all the passages and orifices are open and the float valve is not sticking.

compression: This is rarely an issue and often the engine makes a bad sound when it quit running.

Old 11-27-23, 04:06 PM
Thumbs up Problem Sovled

Wellsir ... a friend of mine came over and helped me get it started. It's does have a spark. He used some starting fluid and got it started. I am always mixed up on what is choke and that was part of the problem I had the choke in the wrong position.

All is well ... at least for now. Hopefully it will handle heavy snow.

Thank you for responding.

Old 12-01-23, 11:23 AM
Exclamation Still Needs Servicing

Wellsir I'm still having problems with the blower ... it will not run unless the choke is on. I'm a bit confused ... what is choke, the picture shows where it has to be for the blower to start and run. When it was getting low on gas I refuel, and when I tried to run it again it kept stalling after a second or two. After several restarts it finally kept running.

I put some seafoam treatment in the gas, but it remained the same needing the choke on. I have no idea where the carb is on this thing or how to get to it in order to clean it.

Also I had a hell of a time clearing the snow because the machine kept clogging up. It was wet heavy snow. I spent more time unclogging it than blowing the snow. It took me a lot longer than it should. I used silicone spray, when I started, but I guess I should have kept reapplying it.

This is the choke setting right? It will dog out if I move it.

Old 12-02-23, 06:42 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Chocking allows more fuel less air. Notice the diagrams on the chock. On the left the access is blocked. On the right it's open allowing air to mix with the fuel. Your carburetor is fouled up. The tiny orifices are clogged. It needs to be taken off and cleaned or replaced.
When it does start and run, if you're getting a surge type running (where the engines seem to go err, err, err, err) or power fades in and out is a sure sign of poor air/fuel mixture. As you move the choke to run (clockwise) the engine smooths out to constant running sound at idle or under load.

Old 12-02-23, 08:25 AM
Can you tell me where the carb is located and how to get to it? The machine is 4 years old would the carburetor be bad in that short of time? I'll see if I can find a replacement and how much it will cost.

Old 12-02-23, 08:29 AM
Oh look ... I found this video ...
How to Remove Carburetor From 3X26 Cub Cadet

Old 12-02-23, 11:05 AM
A carb can go bad within the first year as attested by both my son and son-in-law. I'm in the middle of trying fix my son-in-law snow thrower with the same problem.

Old 12-02-23, 10:36 PM
Wellsir ... since I have been having problems for about 3 years I decided to buy a new carburetor.... cub cadet wanted $93 for one, so I looked up the part number and found one on ebay for under $23 to the door. ETA 8-13 Dec.

Old 12-03-23, 07:06 AM
I think that is what I'm going to have to do with my son-in-law's snow thrower. As I posted in another thread, he has the same problem as you. Yesterday I did the SEAFOAM thing and I got it to run smooth one notch below full chock.

Old 12-04-23, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 138 Upvotes on 127 Posts
You probably don't have to take the carb off or put a new one on, just take the bowl off and clean out the main jet with a twist tie from a bread bag and put the bowl back on. One bolt is all. Sitting unused too long causes this.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-04-23, 02:38 PM
I've done that in the past on other machines. But every time I remove the bowl the little the needle/seat falls out and it's pain to put back in. I end up removing the whole thing and bring it inside where it's warm and I can do better job.

Old 12-04-23, 09:04 PM
Arrow Part already on the way ...

I figured since I had problems with it running rough not long after I got it I thought it would be best to replace it, but I plan to clean it and keep it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: