Mower tire R&R

Old 03-03-24, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
Mower tire R&R

Tires on my Troy-Bilt rider looking pretty grim, plus last summer had to air a couple of them every use. Question: How hard are mower tires to mount on the rims? Really rather not spend the $$$ for tires w/rims.

Old 03-03-24, 04:19 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
IMO, mower tires usually dry rot before the tread wears out. Leaks from cracking etc. I usually put a tube in lawn mower tires if they have good tread left.

I have replaced mower tires, but I dont like to. If you dont have some way to hold it in place while wrestling the tire/rim around, it can be a pain, although, I have done it.

To get the tire aired up after getting in on the rim, I use a rope similar to a hangman's loop on one end, wrap it around the circumference & pull it tight. That will make the side walls bulge out against the rim. I use an air chuck that clamps onto the valve stem while pulling the rope tight around the tire. Most of the time, it will work.

Old 03-03-24, 05:41 PM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
I have used a long lag bolt and washers thru center hole in rim and into a piece of 2x6,8,10 (depends on tire/rim diameter) after getting one side of tire onto the rim. I then span the tire and 2x6,8,10 with 1 or 2 C clamps to draw some of the other side bead toward center of rim. I then lever the rest of the bead onto the rim. I use a lot of soapy solution on the beads and rim. Fill with air and good to go.

Old 03-03-24, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 146 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Some can be tough to do but the Troy Bilt rims don't have much of a bead on the rim and the tires usually come off easily and I can often put new ones on by hand or get them most of the way and then finish with a little levering help of a prybar or big flat head screwdriver at the end. Familiarity with the process helps though, I've seen other people struggle like the dickens trying to change a tire or put a tube in but really it just takes some finesse. I agree with the tube statement if the tires have decent tread.

Last edited by cheese; 03-04-24 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-04-24, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Dixie: yeah plenty of cracking; probably where the air is going. Treads are pretty worn, so figured I would skip the inner tube route.

bob: Browsed a youtube that did similar; looked like a good way to gain some anchoring while working. This dude used two long bars and scissored them using the big bolt in the center as the fulcrum. Looked pretty slick.

Cheese: Good to know about the rims. Only tires I've mounted lately were bicycles; easier, of course, but same principle.

I'll post back how it goes. Not in a big hurry, but grass-mowing days are fast approaching.

Old 03-04-24, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The two bar scissor trick is what I do quite often, didn't know how to describe the action or that there was a video about it. it works well.

Old 03-08-24, 08:44 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
I put mine in my bench vise. The hub is long enough to catch in the vise. Then use two large flat bit screwdrivers. Ratchet strap around the new tire to push the tire bead to the rim. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-08-24, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
I've actually used the ratchet strap trick on client car tires that have busted the bead (usually from hitting a curb). The mower tires are on back burner until I finish woodworking projects for our coming grandchild.

Old 03-16-24, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Well, that was fun. Got the crib project finished and the changing table just needs finishing touches, so I attacked the mower tires last night and this morning. Small front tires were pretty easy, rears not so much. Discovered ball-joint pickle forks work pretty good as tire irons; I have a large one-piece manual one and I also have them for my air hammer that has a screw on handle and are a little smaller. Front ones done pretty fast. Back ones took a little more wrestling but got them on. Problem came when I went to air them up. Fronts, no problem. Backs, nothing I tried could get the beads snug enough to seat when I applied the air and I tried everything except hairspray and a match. Gave it up last night, tried again this morning. The 1" ratchet straps weren't working, so I drove to where I park the beast at night and brought back my 2" straps. Nope, didn't help. Finally gave up and made the 20 min round trip to HD and got tubes. Of course, then I had to re-rim one side to tuck the tube inside. More fun. Anyway, job done and won't need to do that again for a while.

Old 03-27-24, 08:12 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
I had to mount some larger new tires on my Golf Cart and at 77years I am too old to muscle even tractor tires for fun. I bought the small Harbor Freight tire changer and it took a LOT of the aggravation out of the job. I was surprised as how well made it was when I started using it.

Old 03-27-24, 09:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just took a some tires by the tire shop to have tubes installed (I often let them do the work since it is so cheap there). The one guy was fighting with tire irons trying to get the tire pried off the rim. I walked over and said, "here, let me show you something, and I stuck a 3/8" extension about 12 inches long through the axle hole in the center, put both tire irons through the bead and one on either side of the extension and did the scissor maneuver and the rim flipped up in the air and out of the tire. That Mexican tire guy's face LIT UP with a huge smile and same with the other tire guy watching and they started laughing and smiling and talking in Spanish and thanking me LOL.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 03-28-24, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, had to redo one of the rears as it leaked down. Probably damaged the tube during the install. New one holding air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: