trying to start an old rider for first time

Old 04-14-24, 08:27 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
trying to start an old rider for first time

I just picked up a Craftsman 30" rear engine riding mower (502.251250, B&S engine 28M707 - 012601 - 9507174D)..

Supposedly had a new battery and ran once for the seller so I put it on a charger for a couple hours. Now all I get is a loud clunk from the solenoid. The starter seemed stuck in the flywheel gear so I freed that up. The engine will spin by hand but it takes some force to do it. I tired to jump the terminals across the solenoid with a screwdriver but I got nothing from the starter. Then I removed the starter and tried to run it directly from the battery and got nothing at all after a spark or two.

I did not have my electrical test meter with me so I need to go back and verify voltages and continuity to the starter. Any other suggestions or things to test?

- Peter

Old 04-15-24, 03:21 AM
J
Received 50 Upvotes on 46 Posts
It sounds like you are saying the starter will not turn when power is applied. Let me know if I misunderstand.
If that is the case, then new starter, or new starter brushes if you are handy, would be a good next step.
Did you check if 12V is getting to starter, via solenoid, when key is turned?

Old 04-15-24, 06:29 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Is it an old or a new battery? Try connecting the starter to a known good battery.

Old 04-16-24, 06:29 AM
P
Update: I found no voltage coming out of the solenoid even though it was making a loud clunk every time I turned the key. that tells me that it was not a safety or ignition switch issue since it tried to activate. I ordered a replacement. I touched the starter lead to the battery side of the solenoid and the starter spun the engine.

When I got the starter to spin, I noticed that the mower tried to move. I suspect that neutral on the gear shift is not properly adjusted which may explain why the engine was hard to spin by hand. Any suggestions on how to adjust that?

- Peter

Old 04-16-24, 11:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 146 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Is it hydrostatic or gear drive?

Old 04-17-24, 04:51 AM
P
It is gear driven

- Peter

Old 04-17-24, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the belt o the transmission is too tight it can do this, or it may be stuck to the pulleys if it's been sitting for a long time (more likely).

Old 04-20-24, 06:51 PM
P
Engine died

Thank you Cheese for the help. I dropped the transaxle cleaned and lubricated the shifter and it seemed to hit all 7 positions. After reassembly, and adjusting the shifter, I was able to properly change gears. It started, ran and drove as expected.

Now the bad news. After 10 minutes of running, it died with a small bang. It spins very easily and the piston moves only slightly. I hear an occasional clank as it spins. I suspect a broken rod or piston.

I see a guy selling engine rebuild kits on eBay for $130. Not knowing exactly what happened here, should I explore saving this engine or just move on to another mower? This one is about 30 years old with no known history.

- Peter

Old 04-21-24, 12:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A 30 year old mower, I would junk it unless it was in really good shape. A rebuild kit may or may not fix it. You'd need to open it up and see if the block is any good. Usually when a rod breaks in the single cylinder Briggs engines, the rod also smacks the block behind the starter and cracks it or worse, and sometimes it breaks the camshaft bosses and bends the camshaft. Sometimes it also breaks the piston skirt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: