Where do you find the best deal on trimmer line?

Old 04-18-24, 11:29 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Where do you find the best deal on trimmer line?

Where do you shop for the best price on trimmer line? Are there good quality lines and bad quality lines or are all lines basically made of the same material? Are round, square, star, braided, etc just gimmicks or do they all have a specific purpose?
What other tips do you have to offer?
I learned that after a while lines get brittle and soaking them in water brings back their flexibility?

Top Answer

04-19-24, 05:40 AM
Wayne Mitchell
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
I use the Echo Black Diamond. It seems to cut better and last longer. A 250' spool has lasted me over 2 years.

Old 04-18-24, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
I DO NOT go by reviews. I try the line myself.
I'm completely turned off by reviews that are not helpful or push a certain brand or type.

At $10-20 a roll..... it's more cost effective to try several types and pick the one you like.
I'm currently trying the Oregon 20-117 Platinum Gatorline Supertwist Trimmer Line .08-Inch.
It's working pretty good so far.

sofasurfer voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-24, 04:30 AM
T
Received 111 Upvotes on 99 Posts
In terms of shape, there's nothing wrong with round but I prefer twisted as it seems to be more versatile and long lasting. Other shapes seem to be popular, but I never found the need to try them. Monofilament nylon is the standard and is easy to find and use. I'm curious about titanium and will probably get some next time I'm in need. In terms of size, 0.08" works well for grass. IMO, thinner line won't last as long and thicker line is for weeds.

Old 04-19-24, 04:50 AM
B
Received 308 Upvotes on 273 Posts
There are many characteristics specified for a trimmer line and most affect price. A diameter is listed for your trimmer and probably a length to fill the spool so some characteristics are not options. Unless you are a landscaper, a spool or 2 should last a season. Around here trimmer line is on sale at beginning of lawn mowing season.

Old 04-19-24, 05:31 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
Use the shape that the trimmer manufacturer recommends.
I have the WORXS brand. They say free trimmer line for the life of the trimmer. But shipping cost more than makes up for the price. FWIW, I find winding my own is very cost effective. I also keep the line in storage in a dark cool place. And the automatic feed mechanisms never really work very well.

Old 04-19-24, 05:40 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
I use the Echo Black Diamond. It seems to cut better and last longer. A 250' spool has lasted me over 2 years.

CircuitBreaker, sofasurfer voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: