Kohler Charging System

Old 05-17-24, 08:04 PM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Kohler Charging System

I have a 1996 Simplicity Sunstar (1692135) with a Kohler CH20 engine that was original to the tractor. The tractor is equipped with two electric clutches that power both the 60 inch deck PTO and the Rear Vacuum impeller fan. All still running well, but the Dash voltmeter used to read out a good 14 volts which would drop some when both PTOs were on, but now it only reads a solid 12 volts when running without the the attachments, and drops to 9 or ten volts when they are on. I think I may have a stator issue but there is only one wire poking out from behind the cover (that wire is connected to the voltage regulator) and I am not sure what the number is supposed to be for a volt meter check.at that connection, and for the other two prongs on the regulator. Anyone familiar with that engine?

Old 05-18-24, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 152 Upvotes on 139 Posts
The one wire coming from the regulator should be coming from the middle terminal and you want to see 14-15 VDC with the engine running full RPM. If not, then set the voltmeter to AC volts and check the two outer wires on the connector to the regulator with it running full RPM. You should get 28-32 ish VAC on those. Report your findings and we can go from there.

Old 05-18-24, 07:18 AM
W
Chuck, the one wire attached to the middle contact on the voltage regulator was broken off at the the junction plugs going between the wire coming out from behind the flywheel cover. I assumed that a jumper to repair the break would fix things, and it actually did on my initial test but It didn't last.) I don't have enough wire sticking out from behind the flywheel cover to get a really good contact without removing the engine to get at the cover bolts. I was assuming that the power to the regulator was coming from the stator (wire) that is broken. but from your post Im guessing that maybe the power source is coming FROM the voltage regulator and then going TO
the engine from behind the flywheel cover? If that is the case, and I get the 14-15 volts at the regulator, I should be ok except for lthe existing broken wire? Maybe the other two wires on the outside posts of the regulator (AC on your post) are the the actual output wires (that go
TO the voltage regulator) attached to the stator where I can't see them?

Old 05-18-24, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the outer two wires are the voltage coming from the stator. That voltage enters the regulator and is rectified to DC voltage and exits through the center wire which goes to the battery + to charge it.

Old 05-18-24, 05:29 PM
W
Ok I checked the voltage on both wires (AC) and they tested good. Noi so good on the middle wire. (Like zero) So I am ordering a new rectifier.

Thanks for your replies Chuck!

Old 05-24-24, 04:44 PM
W
New Voltage regulator arrived today. Solid 14 volts DC on the Tractor's voltmeter.after the install. Thank you for the Tutorial!

Old 05-25-24, 07:19 PM
W
Is it my imagination, or is the DC wire coming out of the voltage regulator much smaller in diameter (by design) than the AC wires coming from the Stator INTO the Regulator?

Old 05-26-24, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it!
I don't recall a difference in gauge of the wires but its possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the stator wires had a thicker abrasion resistant insulation over the wires because of their direct contact with areas of the vibrating engine block.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: