Never change oil lawn mower

Old 05-25-24, 05:07 AM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Never change oil lawn mower

Two years ago I purchased a Troy Bilt self propelled mower that said Don't change oil, just check.
I am wondering uf changing oil will cause any harm ? changing oil is a quick and easy task and I used to do that every year for my old craftsman mower

Top Answer

05-26-24, 02:27 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
watch for gasoline to leak out of the fuel tank when turning it over
I always change the oil when the tank is close to empty which prevents that from being an issue.

Old 05-25-24, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
I think changing the oil is essential. You might have to get creative to get the old oil out. Some of those no oil change mowers don't even have an oil drain (I suppose it saves $1 of manufacturing cost).

Old 05-25-24, 05:27 AM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
If the engine has no oil drain, use a cheap drill driven fluid pump with the suction hose stuck in the oil fill hole.

Old 05-25-24, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
My push mower doesn't have an oil drain plug so I have to turn it upside down to change the oil.

The only thing changing the oil hurts is the mower company's profit margin - not changing it means you'd buy a new one sooner.

Old 05-25-24, 05:56 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
I dont think I have ever seen an engine that didnt require an oil change. Didnt know there was such a thing.

I agree that its essential. I just had this conversation with my widowed neighbor last night. She had bought all the stuff to do a spring PM on her side-by-side & hasn't brought to to me yet. (she says I already have too much to do... yeah right..lol). I told her last night we need to get this done. Oil is the life of an engine. It's probably the most essential of any PM.
Air filter follows.

Old 05-25-24, 06:11 AM
K
Thanks everybody. Yes there is no oil filter ,but not difficult to change turning sidewise

Old 05-25-24, 06:43 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
Just remember & watch for gasoline to leak out of the fuel tank when turning it over.

Old 05-25-24, 08:06 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 126 Upvotes on 109 Posts
would also change it if possible could extend the life of the engine but many mower engines probably are not rated for that long of lifespan even maintained.

Old 05-25-24, 11:47 AM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Not changing the oil seems like a recipe for disaster to me. DR (chippers, Shredders other stuff) has a really neat oil changing tool for smaller oil sumps and fill tubes (like most mowers) I challenged the sales rep at DR as to just how durable and easy to use this tool was, and he challenged me right back to try it and see. I did, and I am now a believer. It is a HUGE time saver when You have difficult to reach drain plugs and ones that make a big mess when you can (reach them) You assemble the unit, warm up the machine oil you are going to drain, stick in the long tough drain tube, and pump on the plunger maybe ten times to create a vacuum. The oil collects in the supplied bucket and when you have it all, you drain it responsibly at your recycler!

Old 05-25-24, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 152 Upvotes on 139 Posts
Another step in the disposable society. It's a good idea to change it, it's good for them if you don't and just buy another in a few years when it blows up.

Old 05-25-24, 12:51 PM
Z
Received 134 Upvotes on 125 Posts
Last week I decided to the change the oil in my mower. Went nuts trying to find the drain. Never knew that some mowers (or is it all mowers today?) had no drain. I guess I haven't changed oil in a push mower for years. My bad.

I then found this video which was real news to me:

How to Drain Lawn Mower Oil Without Making a Mess - Today's Homeowner (todayshomeowner.com)

I see what the guy did and will do it that way, but I do have the concern that Dixie pointed out:

(that looked like some real nasty dirty oil that guy drained)

Old 05-25-24, 02:11 PM
W
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just another reason to go with an electric mower. My old gas mower died so I went with an EGO push mower. No need for gas/oil, just charge to battery once in a while and you're good to go. Quieter, very easy to start and just as easy to mow with as any 21" push I've ever used. Didn't need a self-propelled, but I'm sure they are just as good.

Old 05-25-24, 05:09 PM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I have a 5 year old walk behind that doesn't get a lot of hours. I check the oil annually in the spring. It's always pretty clean looking. I would add oil if needed (I can't remember ever adding oil). Never been changed and never expect to change it.

I suspect that a major small engine manufacturer (B&S) may have investigated oil change requirements before pushing no oil change maintenance.

Old 05-25-24, 06:32 PM
A
Received 126 Upvotes on 109 Posts
kind of agree the manufacturers have probably researched it and know that its lifespan may not require an oil change but there is exceptions such as a stuck float diluting the oil with so much fuel that it may need changed but have seen many old mowers still be running never had the oil changed and likely replaced cause of other issues like bent shaft from hitting something, rusted out or drive going out but guess it does not really hurt to change it not sure I would be turning it upside down to do it though.

Old 05-26-24, 02:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I always change the oil when the tank is close to empty which prevents that from being an issue.

sdodder, zoesdad voted this post useful.
Old 05-26-24, 11:38 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
The Toro that I bought last September's manual says:
Changing the Engine Oil
Service Interval: Yearly
Changing the engine oil is not required, but if
you want to change the oil, use the following
procedure.....

I thought it was unusual stating it doesn't need to be changed, But in the Maintenance section, it only states 'Yearly' as the interval without any mention of not necessary or optional. As well as no drain plug, when I first started it I looked for a fuel priming bulb, there is none.

The manual shows the mower tilted to the side to drain the oil.

Old 05-29-24, 05:49 PM
K
I changed the oil with 5W 30 Synthetic.
Why I am back here is to share how the " never change" oil looked after 2 years ( debries are not from oil but the color is that of oil)

Last edited by krishmunn; 05-29-24 at 06:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: