Lucas Engine OIl Stop leak

Old 06-17-24, 12:36 PM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Lucas Engine OIl Stop leak

I have a 1963 18 HP Air Cooled twin cylinder engine that has been all rebuilt internally and it runs fine, but it came back with 3 engine oil leaks. I found two of them on the bottom of the engine and fixed those but the last one is very small, like a couple of drops of oil when I park it after a normal run.. If this leak is in the crankcase, or where the cylinder jugs bolt to it, I will have to remove the engine to get to it. If I try a bottle of Lucas :Engine Oil stop leak, is it safe for me to use? It does not appear to be coming from the front or rear main seals, as I can see both of those areas.

Old 06-17-24, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Oil stop leak products work by softening and swelling rubber seals.
Pretty much a temporary repair.
I would doubt that a single application would cause any long term issues.

Old 06-18-24, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
With a fresh rebuilt engine I would pull it and make it right. Engines don't "heal" over time so the leaks will only get worse over time.

Old 06-18-24, 08:54 AM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Well Pete and Dane, I believe all of what you have posted. My Dad (P-51 Aircraft tech Sgt WWII) Always said "there are no mechanics in bottles and cans" Taking this Cushman out of service even temporarily is a real inconvenience. That's why I had a so called "expert" on these engines pull it and rebuild it in the first place. Not taking it back there, This leak has to be pretty small so I will try the Stop leak to see if it slows it down enough to make serious plans. Thanks for getting back to me!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: