Honda GC 190 leaking gas externally

Old 06-18-24, 02:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Honda GC 190 leaking gas externally

I have a 4 year old pressure washer with the GC190 Honda engine. I only use non-ethanol gas in it as I only use it a few times a year and want to avoid carb issues.

Today the engine started without difficulty but immediately started leaking fuel like crazy externally from the carburetor area. Specifically, it's coming from where the air cleaner attaches to the carb. I shut the engine off and the leaking stopped. The fuel is supplied to the carb with a fuel pump. With the engine switched off, when I pull the starter cord and the engine turns over a few times, the leaking resumes while the engine is in motion.

Is this a carburetor or a fuel pump issue?

Old 06-18-24, 03:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
The carburetor float valve probably has a piece of trash caught in it. You can access it by removing the bowl on the bottom of the carb.

Old 06-18-24, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Upvotes on 142 Posts
Right, the float is stuck or has varnish or trash obstruction it. Probably just stuck open, a rap on the side of the carb might knock it loose and cause it to resume normal operation or it might require removal of the bowl.

Old 06-18-24, 05:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you for the replies. I removed the bowl and the gas that came out of it had some debris in it. I removed the float and pulled the starter cord to flush any additional debris. I put it back together and the leak is gone. Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: