Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New To Town

Visiting Guest

08-11-01, 12:13 AM   #1  
Frosty
Hello All,
Testing to see if this works, and thank you for my welcome Mr. Bartco (as i'm sure you're going to...at least i hope so). I love engines! I own manuals on small engine repair...and all that good stuff. But as of yet, all i have taken apart is a Vacu-Jet carb on a 3.5HP B&S Engine (a few weeks ago) and got a friend's Echo 2 stroke Trimmer 'humming' again (just last week). I have new project...another 3.5HP B&S (older model) and this time i want to tear it all the way down for the heck of it. I have all the tools for it. However, the only thing holding me back is a Micrometer/(Precision Instruments). All the books i own on engine repair say i need one. Frankly, this 20 yr old college student can't afford one. As of yet, my small engine experience lies in re-adjusting carburetors (which suprises me how much it can affect an engine's preformance). I am very patient...and enjoy working on small engines. So finally...i guess my question is....can i get around an entire rebuild without one(micrometer)? Nah...didn't think so. Well then ...how far can i go without one?

Info Please

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

08-11-01, 06:26 AM   #2  
Hello Frosty:
Without any doubt I am going to welcome you to my small engine forum and our web site. Here goes...

Hello and Welcome Frosty to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum. I welcome your questions and hope to offer positive and helpful suggestions.

In regards to a micrometer, it's true, having one is an advantage and a requirement for precision work. However, learning to tear down and rebuild a small engine can be done without one during general practice.

Since engine rebuilding isn't going to be a daily activity in small engines, my best advice would be to learn repairs and tuning prior to rebuilding.

Most small engines encountered require minor repairs. The most common is carb services, tune ups and pull started repairs, etc. Thus it would be more cost effective to purchase the speciality tools required to perform those tasks.

Build your tool collection and hone your skills from that prespective. Use your small engine skills to earn money to buy tools and have "pocket change." Build a vocation in small engine repairs while attending college.

The knowledge you gain and tools you acquire will be with you for years to come. Avoid thinking of building a small engine business unless you like "Eating Soup With A Fork."

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.

Visiting Guest

08-14-01, 09:09 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Yup, build your tool collection up gradually. I have accelerated my tool collection (and I'm not that much older than you! Lol) ), by going to estate sales and garage sales.

You'd be surprised at the "junk" that I was given for free

Look for sales in the papers, and check Ebay. You might find a machinist going out of business or retiring that has just what you need to fix those small engines.

I started out by answering an ad for "tools for sale" in the local paper and I wound being the guy's best customer.

How could you beat buying Craftsman tools for a buck and then returning them to Sears without guilt for a new one ?

Search this Thread