Grass Blower

Old 08-14-01, 03:33 PM
Brent Turner
Visiting Guest
I have a Craftsman 32cc, 2 cycle grass blower that is starting to give me trouble. I have changed the plug and cleaned the air filter. The problem is that the engine will only run in a choke mode. As soon as the choke lever is moved out of the choke position the engine quits. Regardless of how long I let it warm up I get the same problem. This blower is about 5 or 6 years old and this is really the first problem I have had with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-01, 07:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Brent

Sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. The choke only reduces the volume of air flow into the carb. The reduced air volume then richens the amount of fuel and the engine runs.

Check for a restricted fuel supply. This can range from fuel flow from the tank, through any inline filter or fuel hose, or a restricted carb. Try using fresh fuel to flush out any stale fuel while checking fuel flow from the tank.

Remove the carb and clean it with spray automotive cleaner. Be sure to make note of how it is currently installed and how the linkage is connected.

Make note of the carbs internal parts and how they where assembled. Spray into the holes, etc. then reassemble and reinstall carb.

Use EXTREME CAUTION cleaning any small engine parts.
Each aerosol cleaner is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!!! The manufacturers CAUTIONS should be strictly adhered to.

Aersol cleaning products produce large quantities of flammable vapors. They must be used in a well ventilated area while being applied used.

Which means a safe area may not be the shop or garage, if there is any source of ignition! Gas and or electrical appliances nearby,in an improperly ventilated enclosed area, surely poses an extreme danger.

Check the archives, within this forum, for other postings and replies on this topic for additional information.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:

Old 08-15-01, 04:58 AM
Grass blower

I had a similiar problem with my Echo weed trimmer. Replacing the fuel filter did wonders for the performance!