solenoid woes

Old 08-14-01, 10:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Tom! I enjoy browsing your forum from time to time, even occasionally answering a few questions. I have read many of your responses and they are always very informative and precise, going the "extra mile" to include every possible cause to a problem. I own a small engine repair service, and have 12 years experience with small engines, but still run into a "stumper" once in awhile. Soooo...I have a question for you. I am working on a Toro 11/32 with a B&S 11hp engine. The electric start system is very unusual to me. The solenoid is hot at all times, the key switch grounds the windings to engage it. The problem is that I replaced the solenoid about a month ago, and it is bad again. I am wondering If the constant power to the windings could be causing them to short over time, or maybe it's just defective. It has a standard 2 wire solenoid like you find on most every brand mower. It is unusual that the switch grounds it instead of sending voltage to it. All the rest of the wiring setup is conventional. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, and keep up the good work! -cheese-

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-01, 09:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Is it the correct solenoid? Some are wired to work differently than others.

Is it an original (Toro) brand part?

Old 08-15-01, 06:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Cheese

Based upon what you posted, my suggestion is to replace the solenoid and reverse the wiring to it. Solenoids are not suppose to have current applied to them at all times. They are only activated by electrical current to perform a mechanical function.

Chances are good the solenoid or ignition switch isn't an OEM part. Most likely the current solenoid or ignition switch has been wired incorrectly sometime prior to the machine being taken to your shop. The current solenoid is now possibly defective from being electrically charged for so long.

Wiring errors are one of the main reasons, in all of my forums, I suggest to the do-it-yourself person to make a hand writen on paper wiring diagram or drawing prior to removing wires from any electrical part.

{{{The above suggestion does not always apply to professionals in the trade but it's worth rementioning for the benefit to Do-It-Yourselfers. Make A Diagram..}}}

The electrical system should be a negative ground system as verified by the battery terminal cable connections. Check that ignition switch for correct connections also.

Regards and Good Luck,
Forum Moderator
Tom_B
Accurate Power Equipment
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.

Old 08-15-01, 10:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks your reply.
I thought the wiring was backwards, but it looks as though it is all original, untampered with wiring. Regardless, I think I will rewire it the conventional way. I just had a nagging feeling that maybe this particular model was originally wired this way for some unforseen reason. Thank you again! -chuck-