Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Mower

Visiting Guest

08-30-01, 10:45 PM   #1  
Frosty
Joe,

Ok so I finally got to tune-up this 3.5hp Craftsman (Tecumseh) Mower. (Yes Joe...the one you related to in a response to one of my previous posts). The carburetor was cleaned out, and a bunch of other tuneup stuff was done to it as well. I put it all together today, and I have alot of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Burning Oil. Oh well, I guess that's why it was along the side the road. But at least I did get it running. (chock one up for the snowman!) I don't want to pull the piston, so maybe I'll yard sale it.

Prospective Buyer: "Hey boy, what's all that there white smoke coming outta that thing?"

Frosty: "What? Oh that smoke, Sir. I wouldn't pay that any mind."

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-31-01, 05:20 AM   #2  
mikejmerritt
Frosty, The engine probably has a ring/cylinder problem but do check the crankcase ventilation valve to make sure its not blocked. This can cause huge amounts of white/gray smoke yet the engine runs fairly well aside from fouling the occasional plug. Perhaps you could bill it as a super duper bug machine at the garage sale...LOL...Best of Luck...Mike

Visiting Guest

09-05-01, 03:14 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree. Also, what oil are you running in this thing? Try SAE30. It's thicker. If you are using 10W30, it might be too thin.

Worth a try .

If the model # begins with 917 on the model # plate, I have learned that these are manufactured by American Yard Products for Sears.

I have two like this. The 1988 version that I recycled from a neighbor (along with his 1981 Toro Powershovel which I fixed too...lol) and a 1992 Craftsman I bought new.

Must be that I also own Pontiacs. Seem to like those engines powered by Indians (Pontiac and Tecumseh were both Indians).

Poncho lawn mowers? Lol.

Search this Thread