Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

b&s 14.5hp oil leak

Visiting Guest

09-17-01, 01:49 AM   #1  
ajldsi
I have a 14.5 B&S engine 5 years old. There is oil leaking on the pully that propels the blades under the engine shaft. I am thinging the oil seal and was wondering if this is difficult to change? I am tryint to learn how to remove this seal?

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

09-17-01, 01:52 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome Ajldsi to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

My assumption here is your going to replace the seal with the engine still mounted. You may be able to do this without removing the entire engine.

First thing would be to clean the entire area. Run the engine and verify the oil is in fact coming from the oil seal.

Althought there are special tools for removing an seal, I have to assume you do not have one. In that case, you can pry it out but do it carefully.

Once you have clear access to the seal, pry it out. Use caution. Do not use the engine cases surface as a leverage point soley. Spread the force out by using a piece of wood between the prying tool and the case.

To install a new seal you can place it into location and gently tap it to hold it in place. Then use a socket that fits the diameter of the ring and tap it into place until it is seated.

Be sure to fully clean the expossed crankshaft and oil it prior to both operations.

Regards and Good Luck,
Forum Moderator
Accurate Power Equipment
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. The information provided is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-01, 05:54 PM   #3  
After you verify the source of the leak, as Tom said, an alternative to prying is: punch a small hole in the seal between the crankshaft and the block. Take a small screw and screw it into the hole just enough to get a good hold of it. Be very careful not to let the screw scratch the crankshaft. Grab the screw with pliers and pull the seal out. Some seals are stubborn and the head of the screw makes a good contact point to pry it out with if you have to.

Search this Thread