mccullough chain saw

Old 10-10-01, 07:56 AM
Visiting Guest
I need some coaching on repairing and/or cleaning the carburetor and exhaust on a Mccullough 360 chain saw.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-01, 04:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome jharv to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

Removing the carb shouldn't be much of a problem once you gain access to it. Just be sure you make note of exactly how it is connected to the throttle linkage so you can reinstall it exactly as it current is.

Also note exactly how many turns out each fuel adjustment screw is currently set at. There will be two screws. A high "H" speed screw and a low "L" speed screw.

I would highly recommend you disassemble the carb on a cleaned and cleared off workbench top with plenty of light. These carb are often very tiny and have tiny parts which can get lost easily.

Carefully remove each piece of the carb and make note of exactly how it came off and in which order it came off. Also note which side or which way each part is facing or installed.

Failure to reinstall each part exactly as found will mean the entire carb must once again be removed and disassembled to correct the error.......not a happy thought.

About the only concern for removing the muffler is breaking off the head of a bolt or stripping the threads of a screw and or head of a screw. Neither of which is a pleasant thought.

Be sure to reinstall the muffler and spark arrester as currently found.

I suggest you only use aerosol canned automotive carb spray cleaner to clean and clear the fuel ports and jets. Automotive hot dip cleaners are much too strong for tiny carb parts. Plus the plastic tube that comes with the canned cleaner is an excellent means to flushout gums and sludges from the jets, ports, channels and under those welch plugs whithout removing them.

Use EXTREME CAUTION cleaning any parts with an automotive aersol parts cleaner product. Aersol liquid parts cleaners may be EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!!! The manufacturers CAUTIONS should be strictly adhered to.

These products produce large quantities of flammable vapors. They must be used in a well ventilated area while being applied and until totally dry. Which means a safe area may not be the shop or garage, if there is any source of ignition!

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bart.....
The Forum Moderator
Accurate Power Equipment Company
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. The information provided is specific and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Old 10-11-01, 01:45 AM
Visiting Guest
mccullough chain saw

Thanks a million! You saved me an $85.00 repair bill.

Joseph