Extra engines - what can I make?

Old 10-27-01, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
I have several B&S, Techumseh, etc lawnmower enginges.
Where can I find ideas/plans for doing something with these?
I'd love to adapt to a rototiller......
I'm sure my kids would want me to ask about go-kart possibilities (engine would be the least of my worries)
Any ideas? thanks muchly. hate to toss these!!!

Old 10-27-01, 03:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
In My Professional Opinion

Hi: chikwich

Nice to know you want to recycle used engines. However, i highly doubt you can easily adapt a lawn mower engine to a tiller.

Most older lawn mower engines lack the power to operate a tiller or go cart etc. unless it has horsepower and is setup to drive the tines on a tiller, run a clutch or belt on a tiller or go cart, which can be engaged and disengaged etc.

An option may be to purchase a go cart kit and attach a lawn mower engine if the engine is a horizontal crackshaft engine. Go cart put together kits can be purchased without engines. The sources for go carts should be listed in the phone book.

Some engines can be adapted to pumps, small generators, small air compressors, etc. However, not all engines operate correctly when adapted to machines for which they were not intended to operate.

Horsepower is one reason, engine controls, governors, linkages and control functions, shaft lenghts and basic engines designs can vary widely between engines.

Often times one can have an engine that may adapt somewhat but the process of setting it up, connecting the accessories can become rather complicated.

The truth is, if your not willing to spend enormous amounts of time, possess lots of mechanical skills, able to design, engineer, fabricate, build and or adapt mechanical systems, have a well equipped shop and several skills aside from rebuilding small engines, adapting engines to other machines can be a great hobbie but it can also be a difficult task.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bart.....
The Forum Moderator
Accurate Power Equipment Company
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix or tinker with it until it is broken!"

Old 10-27-01, 08:37 PM
Frosty
Visiting Guest
Hello Chikwich,

If you're like me, then I'm sure you pondered that question of what to do with those extra engines (Hehe the ones that still run ). Anyways, I've looked into that question before and found these webpages:

http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html (Tells you how to build your own generator)

and...

http://www.mxk.com/1ykplans/ykreadme.htm (Has free copies of go-kart plans for you to print)

Unfortunately......time, money, interest and a really cool metal shop have prevented me from actually trying these 2 ideas I have offered you. But hey, we're talking about your children's happiness. And when you think about it, can you really put a price tag on that ? Hehe.

Best Wishes,

Frosty

PS- Oh by the way, if your kids do get a go-kart out of this, tell them that they owe me.

Old 10-28-01, 02:03 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
The major problem you will encounter when you have
an extra lawn mower engine, with the shaft coming out of
the bottom, is that it has an aluminum flywheel, and that
the blade helped the flywheel fulfill its function. If you
tried to use this engine on anything else, you would need to
find a cast iron flywheel. the other major problem is the
plane of rotation. A go cart is more easily designed if you
are using a horizontal shaft engine.
Fish