Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Weedeater

Visiting Guest

10-16-01, 06:33 PM   #1  
Frosty
Tom or whomever: I found this small 2-stroke craftsman trimmer along the side of the road(in bad shape). When I opened it up the piston, crank, all inside the cylinder is coating in this white substance. To me the substance looks like 'chalk flakes' for lack of a better term. These flakes are thick and caked on over everything. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-17-01, 05:54 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Perhaps it's ash from the 2 cycle oil. Sounds like it.

Visiting Guest

10-17-01, 06:22 AM   #3  
Frosty
Thanks Joe I thought it might have been that. It must be from to high gas/oil mix. Meaning that the guy added too much oil to a certain amount of gas. (Like 10/1 instead of the recommended 40/1).

Thanks again for the second opinion.

Visiting Guest

10-17-01, 11:14 AM   #4  
Fisher
More than likely water/moisture. Aluminum oxidizes
in white. If so the needle bearings are probably
rusty and any money/time spent on this unit are
probably going to be wasted.
Fish

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-17-01, 02:00 PM   #5  
I agree with Fish...water damage. Seen it before, it's toast.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

10-17-01, 02:39 PM   #6  
Hi: Frosty

I fully agree with every reply posting.

The internal metal of the engine has been exposed to moisture and or direct water content. Any attempts to correct the situation is going to be a waste of time and money.

The condition happens regardless of how much carbon deposits are found in the cyclinder. Using the correct oil to fuel mixture only assures proper engine operation.

Exposure to water and or excessive moisture will damage any internal combustion engine regardless of how well it is taken care of. Happens to engine not used for long periods of time and especially in humid climates and coastal areas.

Regards,
Tom_B

Visiting Guest

10-18-01, 06:23 AM   #7  
Frosty
Thank you Cheese, Fish and Tom. I've decided to pitch the trimmer and not waste any time on it. I live in south Florida which is humid and right next to the ocean, so i'm sure i'll be seeing this again.

Thanks again for all your help.

Search this Thread