Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Small gas engine training materials

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-30-01, 01:23 PM   #1  
Hi> I am interested in finding one of those learn at home to repair small gas engines course kinda things. I guess with all the technology today there aren't many offerings gor this any more. Anybody know if anything of the sort exits?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-01, 02:06 PM   #2  
Briggs & Stratton makes manuals that include theories of operation. They also have it on CD rom I believe. Thats a good place to start, also, try the library. Large bookstores often carry a selection of good books on the subject. It's something you can learn yourself...that's how I did it. Pick up some old junkers from trash piles and neighbors and figure out whats wrong, fix them. Even if you spend a little, chances are it will be less than taking courses. Good Luck! -cheese-

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

10-30-01, 02:46 PM   #3  
Hello LBloomer and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

If your interested in a home study course for small engines, etc. the schools advertise in several magazines.

Magazines like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science etc. Stop in at any magazine and softback book department and flip through the pages. You'll find the ads and the postcards to mail to the schools to get literature.

One of several home study companies is Foley-Belsaw. This company, like several others, have home study courses in many different fields of trades, skills and vocations.

Disclaimer:
I do not represent any company that offers home study courses in any fields of vocations.

Regards and Good Luck,
Tom_Bart.....
Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostic Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix or tinker with it until it is broken!"

Visiting Guest

10-31-01, 05:01 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Also local colleges and universities might offer vocational courses in such disciplines.

I would contact B&S and Tecumseh. They are bound to have books you can buy to learn how to fix them.

Cheese is right: I have done exactly what he said. The worst thing that happens is you pitch it like the first guy did. You can learn a lot even if you destroy it in the process.

I have found and restored/fixed the following that was discarded:

1) 1988 Craftsman lawn mower...runs like new after 1/2 hour of tuning and TLC. Use it every week. Runs like a new machine. Problem? Jammed starter cord. Fixed that and serviced the machine, works like new.

2) 1981 Toro Power shovel: Same neighbor threw it out. Problem: stuck trigger and squealing auger. White lube fixed the squealing and reassembling the handle fixed the trigger. Like new.

3) 1968 Craftsman mechanic's 6 drawer toolchest: Rusty and dirty, I found this last week. I fixed all the jammed drawers, put a new lock kit in (had it leftover from another project) and sanded, primed and painted it. Looks and works great.

Sometimes the best "finds" are someone else's junk. My rule is that if I can't make it equal to or better than it was before, it is really junk. Not often the case though

Search this Thread