Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 3.8 HP - Poor Cold Start

MI

11-16-01, 06:06 AM   #1  
Tecumseh 3.8 HP - Poor Cold Start

My pressure washer has a four-cycle Tecumseh 3.8 HP engine. The problem is getting it first started when the engine is cold. The engine has a primer (which I use), but no choke. It initially starts up with difficulty (lots of pulling on the recoil starter), then dies. It'll restart, again with difficulty, then run a bit longer before dying, then restart more easily each time until the engine finally warms up. I'll have to go through this maybe 20 times until it finally warms up and stays running. It's one heck of a way to warm the engine!

The Operator's Manual and Maintenance Instructions makes no mention of any adjustments available at the carburator. The unit is fairly new and has only seen roughly 10 hours operation. I use fresh gas. What should I do and how do I go about making this unit easier to start?

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

11-16-01, 01:25 PM   #2  
Carburetor Fuel Restriction

Hello Kestas

With a piece of equipment this new, I would take it back to the dealers or any dealer that services the Tecumseh engine products and have it repaired under the warranty.

Tecumseh may already be aware of the problem and have a factory correction procedure issued and sent to their dealers.

Yes. I am aware that some power products used commerically may not be covered for some reason or other etc. These are usually just excuses or exclusions.

Dealers want your business and the Tecumseh Company wants a satisfied customer. Therefore, repairs or services like the problem condition you discribed, is one that would and should be covered.

As a former dealer, my policy was to correct the customers power equipment problem....period.

The most likely cause is a restricted cold start circuit in the carb.
There could be other problems too. In my opinion, I suggest you take the power washer in under a warranty service repair.

Regards and Good Luck,
Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....Enterprises
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostic Service and Repair Technician.

Disclaimer:
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs small engine powered equipment. The information provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Search this Thread