Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Sludge?

PA

11-28-01, 01:28 PM   #1  
Engine Sludge?

I've heard that mixing kerosene with the engine oil and running that mixture for a bit helps to break down sludge in the engine and removes varnish from the valve train? Is this true? and can this be done without damage to the engine?

If it does work, how do you do it? (what's the mixture, how long should you run it like that etc.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

11-28-01, 07:21 PM   #2  
I Don't Recommend It!

Hello and Welcome hb2u to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

I do not recommend mixing kerosene with the engine oil. Use a fresh change of oil, run the engine to normal operating temperature and then drainout that oil and refill as normal.

If the engine has that much sludge in the oil and or crankcase, try an automotive oil additive if necessary.

BTE:
You haven't posted sufficient information on the engine for me or any of the others posting help and advice within this forum to work with. Kindly post make, model and year.

In order to add more detail to this topic, click the reply button and it will allow you to add more detail. When a reply comes back but you still have a question on this same orginal question, use the reply button once again.

Your consideration in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and Thanks,
Small Engine Forums Moderator
Tom_Bartco

PA

11-29-01, 05:24 AM   #3  
sorry.....

Sorry about not posting the engine information. It just didn't seem relevant to the general nature of my initial inquiry. The engine is a Tecumseh 7.5 horsepower with a vertical shaft and it is original to my 1978 Ariens riding mower.

My winter project will be to replace the head gasket on the engine and do some other general maintenance. I asked about the kero + oil treatment cause I thought it might be a good idea to try to flush some of the crap out of the engine while I was doing this work (also since I got the tractor used and I don't know how well it was treated prior to my ownership.)

Thanks for the info. You run a great site.

NY

11-30-01, 01:17 PM   #4  
ENGINE OIL SLUDGE

Hi guys;
Just read your thread here and know of a similar procedure that was commonly used in autos while I was young. (LOOOOOOONG time ago!)
This involved draining the oil from the engine and putting in a small amount of gasoline into the crankcase. You then DISENGAGED the spark plug lead from the distributor to the condensor and turned the engine ONCE ! This was a extremely dangerous procedure as if it was done wrong you bought (or obtained!) another car ( they would explode or warp the engine ) , and possibly those around yours! At best, everyone knew you did it as the amount of smoke produced could hide London in the Blitz. You then drained the engine thoroughly and refilled with oil.
This alledgely cleared the bores and jets of deposits and cleaned the engine. Seen it done with both results and doubt if it would be beneficial to any modern engine.
Just thought that I would pass this on as a footnote to the original question.

Admin Emeritus

CAL

11-30-01, 08:12 PM   #5  
Hello hb2u

I asked for engine info simply so I and the others with experience and knowledge posting replies in the forum would have some idea what type and cubic inch displacement engine it was and in what type of equiped it powered.

A 7.5 HP engine isn't any real problem. However, an engine isn't always just an engine on mowers, edgers, etc within the forum and the types of questions asked on engines in the forum.

However, I still do not recommend mixing kerosene {worse yet gasoline} with the engine oil, to remove any potential sludge that may be in the block.

Do an oil change, run the engine for a job and check the oils color etc. If it's sludge contaminated, the fresh oils color will change drastically. If so, simply do another oil change or add some automotive oil additive to clean the internals of the block.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread