Belt Question(s)

Old 12-09-01, 07:24 PM
Frosty
Visiting Guest
Question Belt Question(s)

...gosh i haven't posted in a while...

Hello Guys,

My sister just bought this house and in the backyard was this Craftsman Eager 1 lawnmower, left carelessly by the previous owner. I decided to fix it up for them to use. I soon saw why the previous owner left it. Luckily I had Eager 1 pieces at home from another one I found a while ago(ex. carb, wheels, stuff like that)and the newly found mower runs fine now. Anyways, this particular Eager-1 has a front wheel belt drive on it. I cut the old belt off because it was all stiff, cracked and plain disgusting.

And FINALLY here is/are my question(s)!!

Do you guys think it would be cost effective to replace the belt? Are these front wheel drive mowers more hype than they really are? It is a small lawn, so would it be worth fixing? Are they known to fail quickly?

I haven't had any experience with these belts, so I'd appreciate any thoughts from you pro's.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-01, 06:59 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
The belts are fairly inexpensive and the drives usually hold up
pretty good on these mowers. You might want to clean the
old dead grass out of the pulleys before putting on a new
belt, and you should try to get the correct belt, not just a
generic close one. Also, remove the air filter and tilt the
mower so that the carb and muffler are pointed up while
you work on it so oil doesn't get everywhere it is not
suppposed to. Go to Sears website and enter your mower's
model number to get the correct belt part number.
Fish

Old 12-10-01, 12:23 PM
Frosty
Visiting Guest
another question

Thanks Fish,

I will fix that belt drive.

I have another question. I noticed the oil seal on the bottom of the engine is bad. Oil is coming out at a pretty good rate. Is it possible to remove the bottom oil seal by just taking off the blade? Or do i need to take the engine apart to do this? I would think it would be possible to replace the seal by just pulling out the old one and putting in a new one.

Btw, I ran the engine today and it runs great (i.e. doesn't smoke) this is why i want to get this seal fixed. And, so far i have only put $3 dollars into it.

Thanks again.

Old 12-10-01, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you can remove the blade and the blade adapter to access the seal. Gently pry it out with a screwdriver, or preferrably use a seal puller. In either case, don't scratch the crankshaft or It will leak regardless of seal condition.

Old 12-10-01, 04:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Frosty

There shouldn't be any need to disassemble the entire engine to R&R a lower seal. However, in some {possibly all} cases, it is best to remove the entire engine from the frame, after removing the blade.

You'll also have to remove the belts pulley {QUILL} Once that's off, pick out the entire old seal without damaging the edges of the engine case. Clean the area well where the new seal is to be installed.

Then hand set the new seal in place. {Some seals have a top face while others do not} Tap into place the new seal. There is a special tool for this purpose but it isn't always necessary to use it. The trick is to seat the seal evenly by tapping around the entire circumference until the seal is seated fully.

A piece of pipe {slightly smaller then the diameter of the seal} and long enough to fit over the height of the shaft works well. Seat the seal, slip the pipe over the shaft and onto the seal. Tap the pipes upper exposed end gently to seat the seal.

Regards and Good Luck,
Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostic Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix or tinker with it until it is broken!"
Disclaimer:
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs small engine powered equipment. The information provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Old 12-10-01, 07:07 PM
Frosty
Visiting Guest
thanks for the replies guys. i didn't think you'd have to disassemble the engine, i will try that project this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Old 12-11-01, 05:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A correctly sized socket (One that fits over the face of the seal) and a small hammer will effectively seat most seals. This is how you do it on automotive type seals.

If the model # of this machine starts with 917, it is made by American Yard Products in McCrae, Ga.

Frosty, you know that I have done the same thing ("recycled" some equipment).

Some people don't know what they throw out. About a month ago I found a Craftsman mechanic's toolchest from 1968 (a six drawer model).

I stripped, cleaned and restored this thing. Works like new.

Newsflash: 149 dollars new from Sears in their current catalog!

A little TLC goes a long way .