Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 6hp engine

Visiting Guest

12-27-01, 03:31 AM   #1  
dntdualm130
B&S 6hp engine

Thank you for taking my question,
My neighbor has a 6hp b&s lawnmower. The problem is that it will not start, it has plenty of fire but the spark plug gets saturated with gas. I checked the float in the carb. and it seems to be set just fine. could you please help?
Thanks
Charlie
P.S. I forgot to get the model #

Sponsored Links

MD

12-27-01, 05:00 AM   #2  
Has the mower been outside? What is wetting the spark plug may be water, not gas.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-28-01, 08:17 AM   #3  
There is a very good step by step troubleshooting procedure at http://M-and-D.com

Visiting Guest

12-28-01, 07:39 PM   #4  
KUZBRO
With the minimum information you provided, ther is still lots of room for guessing. First concern would be to make sure fuel is fresh and no water in it. Spark plug may need to be replaced. What about the air filter? How is the compression? You can get a feel for compression by rotating the engine and feeling resistance/pressure on compression stroke. And, back to the spark,...was it a nice visable spark? What does the engine operate? Anyway, good luck and get back with us for feedback. Oh, yeah, check the wet spark plug for water droplets. If there is a lot of water in the fuel, you can see the water drops on spark plug. Happy New Year.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-02-02, 02:16 AM   #5  
If the engine has compression release (easy spin starting), then you must spin the engine backwards to really feel the compression. You may need to pull the starter rope out a bit and release the flywheel brake too.

Originally posted by KUZBRO
With the minimum information you provided, ther is still lots of room for guessing. First concern would be to make sure fuel is fresh and no water in it. Spark plug may need to be replaced. What about the air filter? How is the compression? You can get a feel for compression by rotating the engine and feeling resistance/pressure on compression stroke. And, back to the spark,...was it a nice visable spark? What does the engine operate? Anyway, good luck and get back with us for feedback. Oh, yeah, check the wet spark plug for water droplets. If there is a lot of water in the fuel, you can see the water drops on spark plug. Happy New Year.

Search this Thread