fuel problems with riding mower

Old 01-14-02, 03:34 AM
Visiting Guest
fuel problems with riding mower

My riding mower will start up and run for about 45 seconds and will stop running and won't start back for hours. It runs and stops getting fuel. The fuel filter is clear so I can the fuel pumping and then it just stops. The motor is a:
Briggs and Stratton 18HP TWIN II
Model: 422707
Type: 1214 01
Code: 93081951
I replaced the coil because of firing problems
I have rebuilt the fuel pump
I have removed the gas tank and cleaned it out
I made sure all the fuel lines were clear
I replaced the fuel filter.
PLEASE HELP !!! I am going to have $1500 in a $300 lawnmower before I am through.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-02, 08:27 AM
Does it have the proper cap on the fuel tank? Sounds like it may be the vent on the cap is clogged and a vacumn is being created in the fuel tank.

Old 01-14-02, 09:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Run it without the fuel cap. If it runs longer than the minute or so that you can attain with the cap on now, the cap's vents are plugged or the cap is defective.

That being said, after you have this trouble, can you take the line off to the carburetor and see if always pumps fuel?

When you have this "cutting out problem", you say you have to wait a few hours for it to start again.

Run the engine, let it die. Take out the spark plug and then squirt some fuel in the chamber. If the engine runs and then dies again, you know that you always have spark and it surely is a fuel problem..it is only running on what's in the chamber at this point.

Perhaps you installed the diaphragm wrong on the fuel pump in the rebuilding process?

Old 01-14-02, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have seen this a lot in my business, and 95% of the time it's the carburetor. The 16 and 18 H.P. briggs are notorious for this. Just remove the top of the carb. and clean out the bowl. On the side of the carb at the bottom there is a 5/8" plug. Remove it and look in the hole. There is a jet in there that needs cleaning out. That jet getting trash in it is a continuous problem. Install a fuel filter with a paper element instead of a fine screen element to stop the recurrance of this problem.

Old 01-16-02, 05:09 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
You need to determine, as noted before, if your problem is fuel
or spark related. When you said that you had replaced the
coil before, it threw up a flag. I had a mower with a Briggs
twin give me similar symptoms this past summer. My initial
test for spark showed spark, and I could get it to run
roughly, then die, not restart, etc.....I assumed carb trouble,
saw none. After scratching my head, decided to start over
again, checked for spark, none this time. Unplugged kill
wire to the coil, still nothing. So I went and got a new coil
to put on, but as a matter of habit checked the kill wire
for voltage. It read six volts when there should be none.
I looked at the wiring harness and saw a lot of electrical
tape everywhere, bare wires mess, etc..
If I had just put on a new coil it might have worked fine for a
little while, but that voltage would have eventually destroyed
the new coil. I hope that this is not your case, but it is something
you should look at.
Also when you remove the plug/nut on the side of the carb,
remove the jet out of the hole with an allen wrench and make
sure it is not plugged.
Good luck,
Fish

Old 01-21-02, 01:47 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
just a thought make sure your Vacume hose coming from the valve cover is not got a hole in it. If it would have a hole in it it could cause the pump to pump slow and not keep up with , The carb i can also say i have seen the jet in bottom of the carb get filled up with gunk pretty bad, Their in the lowest spot in the bowel and if any dirt is their belive me it finds it lol

Http://www.CandSSmallEngineRepair.com

Old 01-21-02, 03:36 PM
boregard
Visiting Guest
One possibility is that one or more of the fuel lines collapse after the engine is started, causing fuel starvation. I once had a vehicle that would start and run about a block, then quit. Needles to say it took quite a bit of head scratching to figure out that it was the fuel line. You said you checked the lines, but I would replace them if they are the standard rubber lines.