small 2-cycle snow blower

Old 01-19-02, 09:51 AM
small 2-cycle snow blower

Im tryin to get my mom's craftsman 2-cycle snow blower started...we have spark(i checked that this morn.)but we can't get it to start..it has a pull start (not electric start)any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 11:41 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Post your model numbers for more specific advice, but pour a dribble of fuel in the spark plug hole and try to start. If it starts then dies, then you have a fuel/carb problem. Let us know.
fish

Old 01-19-02, 12:29 PM
Thanks..we are in a little snow storm right now so I cant get to my mom's house to try your advice right now...but I'll let you know later..please monitor this "thread" because I'm a true novice...meanwhile...the unit is a Craftsman 3 horse single stage snow thrower model 536.884232

Old 01-19-02, 02:01 PM
OK.. we tried dribbling fuel in the spark plug hole..no luck..what should we try next..remember I'm not real mechanically inclined

Old 01-20-02, 07:00 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
You have said you have spark, is the fuel you are using fresh?
If so, try the fuel dribble again, give it a better dose. Does the
carb have a choke or primer bulb?
Fish

Old 01-20-02, 09:03 AM
ok..we will try a little more fuel... the carb has a choke,but there is a primer on the blower but not right on the carb? does that make sense?I'll let you know when I try more fuel..it is fresh fuel

Old 01-21-02, 09:12 AM
CRAFTSMAN SNOWTHOWER PROBLEM

Hi Bale;
I do not want to appear silly but does that model have a safety key? My friend had a similar thrower and it had a plastic safety key. His would not start and all systems checked okay.It took awhile to realize that it had this safety and that it was missing the key.
Look on the left side of the engine near the choke.(I believe that is where it should be located.) See if here is a key and is it inserted all the way in. If the safety key is missing, or lost, a new one can be obtained at Sears.
I linked my key, and now also theirs, to the handles by a small strap to ensure that it is not accidently lost in the snow or in-between seasons.
Just a thought offered for your consideration.

Old 01-21-02, 02:15 PM
thanks..but,no,this one doesn't use a safety key

Old 01-21-02, 02:40 PM
thanks for the help guys ,but my mom gave it to a shop to fix it....I didn't get to try"a better dose" as Fisher suggested....thx again