Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

AC to DC on Briggs&Stratton

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-23-02, 12:43 AM   #1  
AC to DC on Briggs&Stratton

My Toro 1132 snowthower is powered by a Briggs & Stratton 11 hp engine..model#252416 type-075691 code-9409121A. There is an accessory wire provided for an optional headlight..the wire is black w/white connector. According to Briggs & Stratton online engine support, the output voltage of this wire is 14 Volts AC. My question is this..can I convert this AC current to DC to run a small DC gearhead motor? My old Sears lawntractor (with Briggs engine) uses a diode in the charging circuit to accomplish this. Could I wire the same type diode between the alternator and DC motor? As to why I want to run a gearhead motor...my snowthrower didn't come with a remote chute deflector and I want to make one.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-23-02, 07:54 PM   #2  
More Information Requested

Hello and Welcome Jim to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

I must be missing out on something, misreading your posting, just too tired or have a "Pre Senior" moment.

Why would only the optional lighting be AC? if all the other electrical componets and engine ignition system is DC?

Double check the online site and measure the voltage st this optional wire. Most likely it's a DC current that is there and the grounding is thru the headlights mounting bracket to the frame.

Let us know what the findings are.

To post back additional information, use the REPLY button. Doing so will keep the entire posting in one continuous thread and also allow others in the small engine industry to post additional information.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts that may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance.........{....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Disclaimer:
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs small engine powered equipment. The information provided is accurate to the best of my memory and knowledge....except for an Ocassional "Senior Moment."

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 06:01 PM   #3  
Hi Tom..thanks for responding to my post. I checked the voltage. It's 14VAC at full throttle.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-24-02, 07:17 PM   #4  
Hi: Jim

Thanks for the updated info. I guess the voltage is 14 VAC as you orginally indicated.

Working from there then, that means the alternator is operating correctly and there must be a rectifier somewhere in the electrical system.

To convert the AC power to DC, you'll need to purchase a convertor. Radio Shack or another electronics store would carry the required part.

A point to consider may be the electrical output of the conversion from AC to DC may not meet the electrical needs of the gearhead motor.

You'll need to determine the electrical requirements of the motor and then determine if the conversion can meet or match that.

Some of the required information may be obtainable at electronics parts sales stores and or most likely at electric motor repair shops.

Good Luck

Search this Thread