Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snow Blower

Visiting Guest

01-27-02, 05:14 PM   #1  
Brent Turner
Snow Blower

My father just gave me his old Yard Machine 2 cycle 3 hp snow blower that he could not get started this year. It's 3 years old and has had no problem starting over the last two years. I am not a mechanic but did a little detective work and pulled off the muffler and I could see the walls of the head are scratched up and there seems like very little compression. My guess is someone ran regular gas. Is it cost prohibitive to have the motor repaired in such an inexpensive appliance? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-27-02, 07:37 PM   #2  
Hello: Brent

If the cyclinder walls are scored up, chances are the engine is history. If the rest of the equipment is in good shape, replace the entire engine with a new engine.

The cost of the replacement engine isn't really cost prohibitive and installing it is an excellent Do-It-Yourself project.....

Once you have the new engine installed and running the equipement well, the learning continues.

Take the old engine apart and see how it works, examine the parts and learn, learn, learn. You have a golden opportunity if small engine internal operations are a desire.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts that may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance.........{....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Search this Thread