5HP Briggs Gocart Engine

Old 02-09-02, 03:59 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
5HP Briggs has me stumped

Ok here is the deal i got in a gocart 2 days ago with a leanfuel cut out on it, M#135212 T#0006-01 C#93072207. I have replaced all welch plugs on carb, New pump kit, New pick up tube in carb, etc. Totally redone everything but the carb body.

Set the cart up on a concrete block. Runs Perfect all speed ranges to WOT, Never misses a beat, I Can take it out on the Hard road in my out in the sticks area lol, Runs like crazy powers right up the hills on the road, one hill is id say a 10% slope for 1200 feet runs right up it never starves for fuel.

Today I ran it out the road for 1.5 miles turned around and came back. Never missed a beat. Try to run this thing in a Field or in the Yard you might get 50-100 feet stalls out starving for fuel.

Hard road runs perfect Sat on a block runs great, Rough ground and it is starving for fuel, Choke it to start warm or cold and sputters and floods itself from over choking and take it off choke and starts right up.

How in the heck can this engine run so damn good on a block or paved road starve for fuel, and quit and you can instantly try to start it with the choke and flood it, I have tryed everything but a New Carb. Any suggestions?

http://www.CandSSmallEngineRepair.com

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-10-02 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-02, 04:24 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Need Some More.....

Dont know those #'s right off, what carb is that? Pull choke, arrow choke? Whats it running on, gas, methonal? Stock cam, valves etc. if you happen to know. Don't tell me its one of those late model fixed jet types. What size is the jet? Gas cap vent works OK doesn't it.....Mike

Old 02-09-02, 04:35 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
Its got a Pulsa Jet carb with the freaking rotten fixed main jet, lol, Stock engine running on 91 octane and tryed 87 octane same results on both gas, Gas cap was taken off and ran today same thing on block or hard road would run till it ran out of gas if i felt like running it that long, Feild or yard it becomes user unfreindly lol

Old 02-09-02, 04:39 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
Choke is on a lever it has the control's Like you would see on a Chipper or a tiller set up, with the choke above and throttle under it, Course being on a GoCart the throttle does nothing but work the normalkill switch, Beginning to think its not a engine really set up to be used on a gocart.

Old 02-09-02, 05:06 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Now We Know.....

Briggs_Man, Now you know. The fixed jet will not feed this thing above 3600 RPM's. Even with the governor in place you will find this thing will not work when you get anywhere near 3600 with a variable load. I can tell you its not worth what it takes to make this carb run. This fixed jet deal is the worst thing Briggs has come up with yet. Just check the prices for older Briggs carbs at Ebay to get an idea. It may pay in this case to try another similar carb that is known to be good to see but this thing is leaning out and probably always will with that restricted type of carb. The best carb for this application has got to be the one with the arrow choke. Slam one of these on there and it'll go but you'll need a tank too.......Mike

Old 02-09-02, 05:28 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
Yeap Mike thats what i been thinking also, the Max RPMS are sitting at 3100 on this thing, But to ever get it to run right i'll Have to dig this guy up a Older tank and Carb, and your right These new Goverment Low Emmission carbs are the biggest POS's I have ever worked on in my life, Throw away carbs is a Great name For them , Been collecting older Engines for awhile mainly for the carbs if they are worth it, LOL

Old 02-09-02, 08:44 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey, Hang on to that barrel choke carb! Saw one on Ebay the other day at $26.00. It was brand new but I got 30 good used ones for $1.00 a piece...LOL...Really...Grab those arrow choke carbs while you can cause you got to figure they only did those a few years....In all fairness....Briggs fixed jet does just what it is supposed to do...Run tillers, pumps, generators etc. at 3300 and does it well.....Mike

Old 02-11-02, 09:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Someone just gave me a 1980 T-top Trans Am with a 1977 Pontiac 400. Hey, it was a good deal being free .

It has an Edelbrock performance carburetor on it, a Performer Series.

Reason I mention this is that there is a special offroad package (I believe it's a needle and seat) that is supposed to be installed if the primary usage is in a 4x4.

Might be the case here.

Old 02-11-02, 11:14 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Thing is on this new junk(from a go kart point of view) is the so called jet is fixed meaning it doesn't come out therefore can't be changed except by machining and that won't get it either due to its poor pickup design. Thats what seals this carbs fate forever from a modification stand point. This carb is really a fixed RPM deal and won't work when used with a throttle as we know on go karts. It just won't pickup fast enough.....Mike

Old 02-22-02, 10:32 AM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
UPDATE

After a few choice words and a Valve job this Cart is off and running again like new, Now if only the owner would return my 4 calls to suggest that it needs a Total overhaul, Due to excessive oil burning and a Rod trying to imatate a woodpecker id be ok lol