needle valve

Old 02-20-02, 07:22 PM
Question needle valve

can someone help me? i have a 3.8 tecumesh motor. i was cleaning out the carburetor and my needle valve fell out without me noticing it.i put it back on and the gas kept running thru it.well i took the carburetor to the shop and they said the neddle valve was missing. i bought a packet and it contained the needle valve and a rubber washer.i found where the needle went but don't know which way it goes in.needle pointing up or needle pointing down.and where does the washer go? please help me i feel so silly when something this simple is kicking my butt.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-02, 09:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: 1 nascar fan

The point of the needle faces into the flow of the incoming fuel. Which means the point faces into the fuel well.

If I understand what you mean by washer, inside the base of the well is where the needle seat goes, if the needle itself, does not have a rubber tip. Which means the needle point pushes into the washer to form a seal.

For the benefit of all readers of this topic, it would be wise to disassemble all carbs on a clean and cleared off work bench surface, with plenty of light and during times of least distractions....

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Old 02-20-02, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tom is right... take off the float, turn the carb upside down. Look into the hole where the needle goes. There is an old "rubber washer" in there. That is the seat. Use a toothpick to pluck it out. The new rubber seat has a ridge around one side...that side goes down, so that when you look into the hole, the ridged side will not be seen. Use the blunt end of a drill bit that fits in the hole to push the new rubber seat in all the way. Then install the needle to the float tab with the wire clip and install the float. The needle tip will be in the hole when installed. Install the bowl and you're set! Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-21-02, 01:27 PM
thanks

just wanted to say thanks guys.this is my first time coming to this site and as far as i can see and all the response i get i'll definetly be using this site in the future.this is a dream site for sure.i'm gonna try what yall said sundat when i'm off i'll let yall know how it went.thanks again.

Old 02-21-02, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help! Good luck!

Old 02-25-02, 08:06 PM
Talking update

ok guys put in the needle valve the proper way.before i did that i took out my new seat and noticed that the old one was still in there.duhhhhhhh!!! that'll probably help it out alot huh.so took out the old one put the new one back in now i'm back running again.thanks again guys.1nascarfan. (go rusty go).!!!!!

Old 02-25-02, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great!!! It's nice to hear the successful outcome of a discussion on this forum. People often fix their problem and don't post back to let us know, leaving us wondering. Thanks!