Steerable Track Drive Snow Thrower Problem

Old 03-02-02, 12:42 PM
LonnieJoy
Visiting Guest
Question MTD 26" Steerable Track Drive Snow Thrower

My snowthrower just quit propelling itself when the Auger Drive Clutch was engaged (the right hand lever). Having checked all the adjustments of the drive components, all seem to be as specified in the manual, tracks will rotate free when in 6th forward position and clutch not engaged, tracks will not rotate when the clutch is engaged. The drive belt and the friction wheel rubber all seem to be in good condition and adjusted correctly. Now in the past I have had to tighten the clutch drive auger cable while I was moving snow. I paid little or no attention to the adjustment except to allow the adjustment to make the machine propel itself when the clutch was engaged. Now the clutch drive cable seems to be really tight, is this adjustment my problem area, and should I loosen and readjust this cable? If this adjustment is not the problem, should I go ahead and replace the drive belt and the friction wheel rubber, even though they look new with little or no wear? Also is there any good manual available for repairing this brand (MTD). Don't know that it's needed or not but the engine is an 8 hp Tecumseh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-02, 08:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Lonnie to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

I would suggest you start by readjusting the drive cable per the suggested tensioning in the owners manual.

Also check for any obstructions in the driving mechanism, clutch and it's free play, etc. Also check the routing and securing of the cable. Lose cable mountings can cause the cable to flex.

The question is: What is the engine doing when the clutch is engaged? Is it lugging? Stalling? Running without any load when the drive clutch is engaged?

Knowing how the engine performs during these times should indicate what the problem is.

Other resident small engine service and repair professionals, may have experience with the engine brand or equipment used, alternate suggestions, advice, opinions, test and repair procedures and methods.

Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need or would like more assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the professionals in this forum to follow the topic and reply with helpful advice and suggestions.

Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Old 03-04-02, 04:57 PM
LonnieJoy
Visiting Guest
Talking Steerable Track Drive Snow Thrower Problem

Tom, thanks for your help and reminder for me to KISS (keep it simple stupid). I did as you suggested and started from scratch in looking for the obvious, checking routing of cables, belts, etc. All looked okay and seemed to be doing its job correctly until I noticed that the drive belts idler pulley wasn't really providing what I thought should be the required tension. That was it, the spring on the drive belt idler pulley was broken. I replaced the spring with the closet one that I could modify and all worked well. I do have the correct spring ordered from the factory. Thanks again, this forum is really great!!!!