Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil in breather

AL

03-04-02, 05:38 PM   #1  
oil in breather

ok guys i got the needle valve prob solved.now part 2.hmmm?? when the lawn mower runs and hits a big patch of grass it'll bog down,so i took out the air filter and it's full of oil.it was running great till i had that needle valve prob now i have this.now what?? come on guys help me out ,you helped me a great deal last time now how bout once more.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-04-02, 10:29 PM   #2  
If it's not one thing, it's another, huh? OK...first, did you have the mower on it's side while you repaired the carburetor? That will soak the filter w/oil. Second, when the needle valve was leaking, it probably filled the crankcase with gas, making the oil very thin, and overfull. This is most likely the problem. Smell the oil, and check the level. If it appears very thin, and smells like gas, change it. Use 30wt oil.

Squeeze the oil out of the foam element and reinstall it. It should have a film of oil in it anyway...to keep the dust stuck to the filter instead of going into the engine.

Check these things out and let us know what you come up with.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

03-05-02, 04:54 AM   #3  
ok when i was doing all this i had changed the oil also.i had lawn mower up on saw horses so ,no the lawn mower has stood up rite all this time.the filter was full of oil,it wasn't just a little bit.i had also changed the head gasket prior to all these probs and it seems like the more i do the worse it gets.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-05-02, 06:02 PM   #4  
Have you checked the oil level? is it too full? Worn rings and/or cylinder wall will cause blowby, filling the filter area w/oil. If the engine gets tilted far enough while running, it will also do this. Somehow too much oil is getting into the valve chamber, or the crankcase is filling with too much gas from the combustion chamber. How did the cylinder walls look when you had the head off?

God bless!

AL

03-06-02, 04:46 PM   #5  
THE CYLINDERS LOOKED FINE.WHEN I PUT ON THE HEAD GASKET I PUT A WIRE GRINDER WHEEL ON MY DRILL AND CLEANED IT WELL.OTHER THAN THE USUAL SMUT IT LOOKED TO BE GOOD,DIDN'T HAVE NO UNEVEN SURFACES ON IT.THE LAWN MOWER HASN'T EVEN BEEN USED 2 COMPLETE SUMMERS AND I HAVE A SMALL FRONT AND BACK YARD.I THINK I BOUGHT A LEMON.PROB BEST BET IS TO BUY A NEW ONE??

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-06-02, 08:41 PM   #6  
You cleaned the cylinder walls with a wire wheel? That may be the cause. (or was it the valves you cleaned with a wire wheel?) These engines have aluminum cylinder walls, and won't take kindly to a wire wheel. If this is a cheap mower, I wouldn't put too much time and effort in it....I am not a Techumseh fan at all myself. I'm sure there are those who will disagree, but if all appears normal (oil level, no fuel in oil, etc...) I would say replace it, it's not worth your time. Buy a briggs or better yet, a honda.

If you would like to track down the cause of this problem and fix it, rather than pitch it, let us know. We'll be here to help.

God bless!

AL

03-07-02, 04:39 AM   #7  
sorry,i must to had not made myself clear.i cleaned the cylinders and around where the head gasket goes.that's all i did.think i'm gonna chunck it. get me one of them 99 $ briggs. thanks for all your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-07-02, 08:29 PM   #8  
Anytime

God bless!

LA

03-16-02, 12:59 AM   #9  
Is the engine smoking when you have a clean air filter on??? Or try running it for a few minutes (clean environment) without the air filter. If it doesn't smoke, you probably didn't score your cylinder enough to matter. Cheese is right, don't ever put a wire brush on a cylinder surface.

If it is not smoking, check the following...
Over your valve springs you should have an "oil breather" sometimes this goes bad and lets oil to intake. Remove this breather and look on side which faces valve springs. The oil breather will have an internal disc which seals against the oil breather housing. If this disc isn't seated tightly against the housing it is most likely your problem.
Let us know what you find.

AL

03-16-02, 05:32 AM   #10  
thanks

thanks guys for all the help yall have given me,but i just bought a stanley mower,maybe that'll bring me luck it can't be no worse.thanks again for all the replies.

Search this Thread