tecumseh carburetor

Old 03-07-02, 06:37 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
tecumseh carburetor

Hi, I have a troy built tiller, 1990 model with a 6 horse power, tecumseh engine. The carburetor keeps getting loose on the engine. I have replaced the gasket, and put lock-tite on the threads of the two bolts that hold it on, but after a year or so, the carb. stills gets loose. The bolts have phillip's head's on them. Have any suggestions? Thanks Jay

Old 03-07-02, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is the carb coming loose from the manifold, or the manifold coming loose at the block? If the carb is coming loose at the manifold, you may be able to put longer bolts in it, and put a nut and lock washer on the other end. Do they have lock washers on them now?

Old 03-08-02, 05:37 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
The carb is coming loose from the manifold, where the gasket is. No it dosen't have lock washers. Do you know if the bolts are steel are alluminum? Also does a tecumseh engine idle smooth, or does it skip alot? This one skips at idle, it always did since it was new. Thanks

Old 03-08-02, 06:26 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the holes in the block may be a little trashed. For the holes, I would try taking and putting a cable tie in the hole and then putting the screw in and tightening it up. The plastic should be soft enough for the bolt to really bite into it. The engine should idle smooth. Does it smooth out under a load. My lawn tractor tends to run a little rough at idle, but when I engage the blades, it smooths right out.

Old 03-09-02, 05:59 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
That's a good idea about the cable tie. I'll try that. Yes I guess it does idle smooth with a load.

Old 03-09-02, 09:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bolts are steel, the manifold is aluminum. The engine should idle smoothly. If it skips, it could be due to dirty air filter, bad spark plug, incorrect air/fuel ratio, carb problems, etc... The cable tie idea might work, but aluminum is soft, and forcing the bolt along with the cable tie might crack the mounting flange at the screw hole.

Old 03-14-02, 09:29 PM
bazman
Visiting Guest
Your best bet is to buy a briggs.

Old 03-15-02, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
lol, agreed! I am not a techumseh fan at all. They're easy to fix, but they sure need fixin' a lot!

Old 03-16-02, 07:59 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
Well thanks to all that replied. I didn't get the answer I was looking for. I guess I'll just put more Lock-tite on the bolts and hope for the best. Thanks, Jay

Old 03-16-02, 12:22 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
If the threads are that bad, invest in a helicoil kit, that is the
only good repair you can do.
Fish

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: