Small Engine Maintenance

Old 03-09-02, 10:17 PM
IWD1
Visiting Guest
Small Engine Maintenance

I have a two part question with a couple of motor types.

1. I purchased a used boat. This is my first boat. It has a 25 hp two stroke Mercury motor. When I stored the boat for the winter I forgot to ensure that all of the gas was out of it. If there was any in it, it should only be a small amount because the gas tank is seperate from the motor. What do I need to do to make sure all of the old gas is out of the motor and has not gummed it up? If it is in there what common things do I need to do to clean it out? Is there something I could use to flush the motor?
Also I did not check to see if there was any water in the motor. It sat for most of the summer after I used it, is it safe to assume then that all of the water evaporated? Where are the seals that are usually damaged by ice freezing up in the motor? I really don't think this happened but I would like to verify it.

2. I own two Murray push mowers with Briggs and Stratton motors they both are within 5 years old. One will not start and the other will start but will cut off after it runs a short while. What is commonly done when a lawn mower is tuned up?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-02, 06:54 AM
cleanoutguy
Visiting Guest
mowers

depending on where they were stored you should just take off the top of the one not running and check for rust on your coil and flywheel.more than likely not getting fire.clean off rust put in new plug and pull. should start if it was running when you stored it.also might want to clean carbs on both wi a good carb cleaner. just remember how you took off carb so you can put back linkage correctly.i may be wrong but unless you dropped something on your other mower or took top off a good cleaning will help other one.do they have the brake stop on them? a tune up now a days is really simple just clean and change plug and air filter. also drain any old gasoline. hope this helps and i cannot say about boat motor never worked on one.

Old 03-10-02, 06:56 AM
cleanoutguy
Visiting Guest
mowers

depending on where they were stored you should just take off the top of the one not running and check for rust on your coil and flywheel.more than likely not getting fire.clean off rust put in new plug and pull. should start if it was running when you stored it.also might want to clean carbs on both with a good carb cleaner. just remember how you took off carb so you can put back linkage correctly.i may be wrong but unless you dropped something on your other mower or took top off a good cleaning will help other one.do they have the brake stop on them? a tune up now a days is really simple just clean and change plug and air filter. also drain any old gasoline. hope this helps and i cannot say about boat motor never worked on one.don't forget to change oil as well

Old 03-10-02, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tune ups are quite simple as cleanoutguy said. Change oil, spark plug, clean or replace air filter, inspect and clean cooling fins if necessary. That's about it. A tuneup may or may not solve your problems on the murray mowers. Probably won't. Start simple, check for spark with a new spark plug. If you have spark, you probably have carburetor trouble...if you don't have spark you have ignition trouble. Start here and let us know what you find.

As for the boat, you may have to disassemble the carbs and clean them, but i would try it out first. I doubt you have any freeze damage to worry about. "Boatmech" of the boat forum on this site may be able to give you more detailed instruction.

Old 03-16-02, 01:08 AM
boat motor

I don't see where you tried to start the boat motor. Clean out your fuel tank, put in a clean mix and give it a try. Remember to put water to the lower unit prior to cranking. If it starts, let it run a while (5 minutes should do). Then if you're not going fishing for a while, pull the fuel hose while the engine is running, and let the carb run dry.

If your fuel is already varnished to the point where it won't start, you're going to have to pull the carb down and clean it out. I haven't heard of any real short cuts for this.

As far as H2O in the lower unit, it probably evaporated. Look for cracks on the outside if the lower unit. If OK, also check the flow indicator when running.

Have fun! Let us know what happened.

Old 03-16-02, 08:19 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
I'll put in my two cents worth. I have a 25 hp Yamaha out board. I always run the gas out, then pull the choke out right before it dies. I use fuel stabilizer always even in the summer months. If it don't start, and your not a mechainic, I suggest taking to a dealer for repairs. I 've gone the route of having carbs. repaired by shade tree mechanics, and although it will cost more at a dealer, you will have it fixed right, and it will be dependable. Buy some stabilizer, it's cheap, and run it all the time. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 03-18-02, 05:44 AM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
Now Now lol Lets go knocking shadetree mechancics,, I get called that at times . because im running my buisness at home and out of a 2 stall garage and 2 10x30 buildings,, and ask any customer that i have had who can get the job right the first time in my area,, Theyll Send ya here, I have Compettition round me that hires so called tranied mechanics,,, Yea their trained alright, Strip plugs, bandaid problems and just ughhhhhh makes me sick that some folks will pay 70.00/hr labor to have a carb adjuted and a Spark plug and the place calls that a tune up... WRONGGGGGG. My Tune up's here, New Filters, Oil change, Blade sharpend,Valves Checked and adjusted, Head removed and carbon cleaned, New Head gasket , Compression Tested, Clean the engine and Set Idle and Max rpms. With a tach... And some other minor things , For 30.00/Hr. Now who do you think my customers will stay with. lol