craftsman lawn tractor transmission

Old 03-03-02, 06:56 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
craftsman lawn tractor transmission

My husband is working on a craftsman lawn tractor
5 speed. Foote. some pieces in the transmission were missing. do you know where to get a diagram to see
the parts that are missing?
Thanks, Anita

Old 03-03-02, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If you will be needing to purchase the parts anyhow, go to your local lawnmower repair shop, ask them to pull the microfische or exploded view in the manual, and find the parts you need. They will be glad to help, since you are a potential customer. Take your transmission in with you for comparison. Also try the library, on the off-chance they might have a book that will include your transmission.

Unfortunately the off-the-shelf repair manuals usually do not cover internal transmission repair. These can be very difficult to repair, as some bushings, thrust bearings, and other things must be properly aligned for reassembly. The case is made of thin aluminum, and if everything is not aligned prior to reassembly, the case will bust. Take time and care and if something doesn't fit easily in place, there is a reason...don't try to force it. Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-03-02, 08:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Anita

A trip to the local Sears repair facility should provide some microfich views and or pictures. If you going to be also ordering the parts while there, should not be any problems with allowing you to view the pictures.

Be sure to bring the model, year of manufacture and serial numbers with you.

Other resident small engine service and repair professionals, may have experience with the engine brand or equipment used, offer alternate suggestions, advice, opinions, test and repair procedures and methods.

Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need or would like more assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the professionals in this forum to follow the topic and reply with helpful advice and suggestions.

Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Old 03-04-02, 07:04 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Just go to www3.sears.com and you can download
the parts blowup of your tractor. You just need
the model number off of the tag from behind the
seat. It may or may not give a blowup of your
particular trans. If not post the model of your
trans or the model of your mower.
Fish

Old 03-05-02, 09:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Sears website is usually pretty detailed and will give you what you need to know.

Go to www.sears.com and then click on Parts. Then do as Fish said about entering the full model #.

The first three numbers before the period denote who made it for Sears. Likely MTD or Murray/Noma.

Old 03-05-02, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, Thank goodness sears is made by AYP (American Yard Products). A little better quality than murray and MTD. AYP also makes Husquavarna mowers, Poulan mowers, Roper, Yard Pro, Jonsered mowers, and several others.

Old 03-05-02, 06:13 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
AYP's quality is par with Murray and MTD, and
Murray has made tractors and still makes the
rear engine riders for Sears. MTD makes other types
of equipment for Sears also.
Fish

Old 03-05-02, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I forgot about the rear-engine riders, you're right. I hardly see them anymore. But as far as I know, they haven't made tractors for sears for over ten years...I was contracted by them for their repair work at one time- talk about a headache.

Old 03-06-02, 04:50 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Yeah its been a while for the tractors. I hear that
the rear engine rider is being replaced by one
made by Airens. Sears does not ever surprise
me. The nearest one to me, sells Yardman tractors
as well. I have encountered two cycle from echo
and McCulloch as well. I am glad they do have
the parts lookup on their website though.
Fish

Old 03-06-02, 09:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not just their products

The beauty of their site is that they have vendor driven products and other brands too.

I plugged in LSR7233EQ0 (my mother's Whirlpool washing machine) and it comes up. Now that might be because Whirlpool makes many appliances for Sears as well.

I have also noticed that Sears seems to stick with vendors (not all the time though) that have headquarters/offices in the state of IL (where they are based).

For instance:

Schumaker Electric (makes their battery chargers).

I have done fairly extensive research into who makes what for Sears. I'm usually pretty on the money .

Old 03-06-02, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll give their site a try sometime, Sounds like it may be useful. Fish...they never surprise me either, but Ariens sold under the craftsman name would raise an eyebrow on me. I haven't formed a solid opinion of ariens, they aren't abundant in my area as there aren't many places you can buy one here. The ones I have worked on seem to be fair, and a little unique.

Old 03-08-02, 09:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ariens makes pretty good stuff from what I have seen. They are the kings of snow blowers...they are located in Wisconsin, so you know they can test "live" pretty well. (brrrr!!!).

I tend to like Sears stuff even if it is a rebadge (which of course I research who it is ). I find they have good features and quality for the price.

For instance, their sockets are made by Danaher (owns Armstrong, KD, etc). Now are they top quality? No. But are they above acceptable quality for the price and warranty? Absolutely.

My neighbor's a mechanic. Mostly Craftsman in his toolbox . I've never had a problem with most Sears things I've owned over the years. I do not like their batteries though, they are Exide. I would prefer Delco.

My .02

And no, it's not a plug for them, even though I AM featured in the March 2002 Craftsman Club newsletter with my 1960 Craftsman mechanic's toolbox restoration project that I won a contest with them

Old 03-08-02, 05:39 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Joe F. Villa?

Old 03-09-02, 03:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Actually, it's Bob Vila, AJ Foyt and myself listed in this month's newletter.

I'm actually going to Sears tonight to get something. Lol.

Old 03-14-02, 09:32 PM
bazman
Visiting Guest
Call Sears 800# and give them the model and trans # they can send or fax you a breakdown.

Old 03-15-02, 05:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Or as mentioned, just go on their website and fetch it yourself .

www.sears.com, then "parts" and follow the instructions after entering the full model #.

Can print it right from your computer.

Old 03-15-02, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't seen a transmission breakdown on the sears website. They show the transaxle itself, as a unit, but not an exploded view of internal parts. Still, the site is extremely helpful to anyone who has Sears equipment and is a DIY'er.

I guess it would also be handy as a reference to owners of AYP products, Murray 30" mowers, and whatever other brands are sold under the sears label.

Last edited by cheese; 03-15-02 at 08:36 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: