Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chainsaw Problems

Visiting Guest

03-16-02, 05:33 PM   #1  
bear101
saw will not idel

I have a Paulan wild thing that will not idel I had it ajusted it worked well for awell but it's accting up again. I well have it looked at again. But what I need to know is way it keeps doing this. Any ideas?

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-23-02 at 09:47 AM.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-16-02, 08:10 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome Bear101 to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

If the carb has been professionally rebuilt or cleaned out and ran well before the problem happened again, chances are the engine isn't used often. Allowing fuel to remain in the carb and tank for more then 30 days unused, it will turn stale.

Stale fuel turns to varnish and gums up the fuel ports and passages. Once this occurs, the only successful method to correct the problem is to disassemble the carb and clean it out.

Diaphram carbs usually require a new diaphram. Successful carb cleaning for all types of carbs oftens requires replacement of the needle and seat as well.

Stale fuel left in fuel storage cans will turn stale and if used will also gum up carbs. The trick for 2 cycle fuels is never to pre mix more fuel then can be used in a month or store regular fuel for more then a month.

Without knowing the engines and carb types your referring to specifically, if your going to remove the carbs and clean them out, first turn any fuel or air screw inwards while counting the turns it takes to lightly bottom the screw in.

Then remove the screw. When reinstalling the screw, turn it in all the way until it lightly bottoms. Then unscrew it outwards the same number of turns it took to bottom it out.

Doing this will insure returning the screw to as close to it's orginal setting as possible. A minor adjustment to the screw or screws may be needed after reinstalling the carb and running the engine.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic of carbs and the replies offered.

Other resident small engine service and repair professionals, may offer alternate suggestions, advice, opinions, test and repair procedures and methods.

Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need or would like further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the professionals in this forum to follow the topic and reply with additional helpful advice and suggestions.

Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-16-02, 09:12 PM   #3  
I agree with Tom, but I would like to add that you should check the fuel lines for cracks or kinks, make sure the primer bulb is not cracked (I think that saw has one). Usually these conditions will cause more of a problem at higher RPM than idle, but 2 strokes do funny things sometimes.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 06:28 PM   #4  
bear101
Thanks for the help. I don't think the gas is bad I use the saw almost daily. I have been cleaning up the farm. I just moved to. We have had alot of wind here in southeastern Ohio. So I have been cleaning up alot of wind falls for others too. But I well give this stuff a look in to & see if it well help. You just don't know tell you give it a go. Thanks for the info.

Visiting Guest

03-19-02, 12:18 PM   #5  
bear101
Happy days I found out what was wrong with the saw. I couldn't figure out so I had a pro look at it. The idle scraw keeps vibrating out messing up the setting. Now I just need to turn it in a little tell it works right.

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 08:37 AM   #6  
Briggs_Man
Idle screw keeps vibrating out?????, And the guy you say is a pro?? Huh if was brought to me a new spring would have been installed and adjusted, Then explained to you by me what the problem is,, was,, Dont sound to much like a pro to me to see that he pointed out the idle screw was backing out , If the spring was in place you could set it and forget it Now you have to be botherd by readjusting all the time... Love it (shaking my head in wonder) I have seen this to many times whene equipment comes in here,, So and So down the road told me what the problem is but its a pain in the rear,, I end up fixing it lol ,, and Saving the customer headaches down the road..

Search this Thread