Engine Seized

Old 03-23-02, 04:32 PM
HenryB
Visiting Guest
New Briggs & Stratton engine is frozen

I just bought a Troy-Bilt 21" lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP Quantum engine. Got the lawn mower out of the box, added oil and tried (per owner's manual) to pull starter rope up to the handle to attach it. The engine would not budge. I checked for obstructions and nothing. I pulled the spark plug and nothing. I finally got some gloves, and pulled the blade by hand and with a hard pull, it turned. I sprayed some WD-40 in the spark plug hole and pulled the blade through a couple of revolutions. It's easier but still some resistance. There's a scraping feeling as you pull the blade around.

Is this normal for a new engine on a lawn mower just out of the box? Of course, if it's now, then its back to the store with it.

Henry

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 08:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, that is not normal. If you have scraping noises, take it back, even if you do get it to run. It probably has a broken ring, done during engine assembly.

Old 03-23-02, 10:16 PM
Do what cheese said. If there's a scraping feeling something is very wrong! Even if you get it running, you will most likely have a premature failure on your engine.

Old 03-24-02, 04:33 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Did you hook up the engine stop cable?
Fish

Old 03-24-02, 08:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That is true. If you don't hook up the engine stop cable, it will likely not pull very easily.

We are talking about the "dead man's bar" on the handle which you have to hold down while in use to prevent accidents. Since about the mid 80's (??) it's been required on mowers like this.

My neighbor threw out his Sears mower thinking it was seized too. Lol. Too bad he just jammed the starter cord somehow.

In five minutes, old Joe had himself a running mower. Still works great and starts on the 1st try.

Barring any of these troubles, bring it back for a new one.

Old 03-24-02, 12:28 PM
Briggs_Man
Visiting Guest
I have to agree with Fish and Joe, The scraping noise is most likley the Flywheel brake band trying to hold the flywheel still..

Old 03-24-02, 05:55 PM
HenryB
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the good advice! And a pat on the back to Lowe's. This a.m., my well meaning son, thinking that old Dad was having trouble with the mower, went out, put gas in it and succeeded in starting it. So, I thought, oh no, there's goes my easy return; Lowes will say either that it's working so no help, or that it's a warranty claim.

Finally called them, explained it all and the department manager said bring it on in and he'd exchange it. Did so and got a new one--and the pull right out of the box is what you'd expect on a small engine.

So again, many thanks for the advice. Without it, I'd probably have kept it since it could be started and then wondered why it failed so soon.

Henry

Old 03-24-02, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're welcome. And guys, I didn't go with the brake band because he stated that the engine was completely seized, but after spraying WD40 in the cylinder and turning it several times, it got easier. WD 40 in the cylinder would have no effect on the brake band. But...you are right, It would have been something to check before returning it.