Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

String Trimmer Question

Visiting Guest

03-25-02, 09:09 AM   #1  
lgeorgieff
Ryobi gas trimmer

I bought a brushcutter and locking rod tool for my ryobi 790r. I was able to remove the line trimmer, but can't attach the brushcutter as the tool won't hold the splines. There is no hole for the tool to go into, the end of the tool is round and flat. I filed it down to fit in a spline but it just slips. Now I can't get the brushcuttor off as the nut is a little tight and I'm afraid to strip the splines if I try to force it. Any suggestions?
thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-25-02, 08:10 PM   #2  
I don't quite follow you here, you said you can't attatch the brushcutter, but then you say you can't get it off. The tool you mentioned, is it a rod that would fit into a hole to lock the shaft so that the attatching nut can be loosened? It sounds like the brushcutter was installed without the collar that allows the use of the tool to lock the shaft. It may still be with the string head. You may have to grip the cutter blade in a vise to keep it from turning while you remove the nut. Am I on the right track?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-26-02, 05:50 AM   #3  
lgeorgieff
Thank you. I attempted to put the brushcutter on; I was able to tighten it a bit, then it got too tight to remove the nut. I'll check the string head to look for the collar.

MD

03-26-02, 06:42 AM   #4  
Could it be a left handed thread on the nut holding the brushcutter blade on?

Search this Thread