Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tank repair

03-30-02, 05:38 AM   #1  
tank repair

Lawn trimmer gas tank. Not sure if plastic, fiberglass or what. I think some sort of the latter. Has leak near the place the line goes to at the bottom. Any suggestions on what to get to seal it?

tx

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-30-02, 07:29 AM   #2  
Hello: boman

I have never been able to successfully fix or stop a fuel leak at that location without replacing the seal or entire fuel line assembly at that location. Others may have but not me...

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals and moderators, may offer alternate or additional suggestions, advice & opinions. Check back several times for additional replies.

I too would also like to know if any other small engine professionals have had any luck fixing {patching up} a fuel leak on a plastic tank on a string trimmer, etc equippment at this location.

OKAY guys. Post your successful methods...haha
A pro can still learn something from another pro...

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

03-30-02, 07:45 AM   #3  
replacing the seal

Not aware of any seal here, looks to be just part of the molded tank. I at first thought the fuel line was dryrotted or needed a clamp. The line itself looks to be in good condition, so I put a clamp on it. That didn't stop the gas from runnig out, so I assume the tank is cracked in that area. Will look closer when weather permits.
I did see a product that claims to fix any gas tank, but the package only showed a metal tank. I don't put a lot of faith in claims like that anyway.

tx for response

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-30-02, 06:41 PM   #4  
I have repaired gas tank leaks with a soldering iron. I try to melt both sides of the crack, pushing melted plastic from one side of the crack to the other and visa versa. I also use a cable tie to add a little more melted plastic to the repair. Maybe you'll have success this way, or go to your lawn mower repair shop, and they may have a new or used tank to replace it with.

As always, when working around combustible fumes, NEVER allow a spark or open flame. (Of course, lol)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 03-31-02 at 02:37 PM.

03-30-02, 06:47 PM   #5  
Weld the plastic? Hmmm, makes sense to me, but , no danger of vapors igniting? I know a soldering gun is relatively low heat, but hey, when I'm not sure, I ask! Heheh, like to avoid the "fisrt-aid kit".

tx for the response

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-31-02, 02:33 PM   #6  
No danger of vapors igniting, unless you have an open flame or spark, or very high heat. I use a fairly low-temp soldering iron, the tip doesn't get hot enough to glow. You might want to avoid breathing the vapors of the melting plastic though. I would clean the tank out and wash it with a degreaser inside to avoid the gas vapors, as a precaution.

I should also add that this is a repair, and it's success depends on your skill, your tools, and the materials you work with. Gas leaks are dangerous, so opting to replace the tank would be the safest thing to do.

Happy Easter!! He arose!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 08:53 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Did you price out a new tank from the OE maker? What did they have to say?

04-02-02, 12:12 PM   #8  
No, I haven't , Joe. I've just about got it fixed (I think). But, from now on I will. May yet! Got this thing to sell and really di not want to put too much in it, if I can "fix it" and then tell whoever buys it what I did and that it may or may not hold up to the repair.

Search this Thread