Carburetor Question

Old 04-01-02, 04:36 AM
jay2k
Visiting Guest
Question hondacr80

i have restored a bike that was given to me by my uncle except when i turn the fuel switch on and the fuel goes into the carburetor it just goes straight through the carburetor and out of these two tubes, which come out of the carburetor. its like they are overflow tubes except the petrol doesnt go through anywhere it just goes straight out the overflow. i can still start the bike up and i can ride it, while the engine is running no fuel leaks through the tubes, but as soon as you stop the engine the fuel just starts flooding out of the tubes again.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-02, 07:17 PM
1badKX
Visiting Guest
hey man, i work on bikes alot...i have a '01 KX 250 that i got liek a month ago...it leaks through the carb bowl tubes liek your does, jsut not near as much...that's why they say you always have to remember to turn the gas off when your dont riding...mine would eventualyl do the same thing yours does.. sounds like yours does it pretty bad though...i've never had that...you could either take the carb apart and look for stuck floats or somethign in the bowl area or maybe even with the gas tank if its not the original...for some odd reason with pressure and stuff..it could be pushing too much gas to the carb...try not openign the shutoff valve as much....jsut a quick fix to see if it's the tak or not....in short...your bowl is getting too full before the engine burns it

Old 04-01-02, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It does sound like you have a bad float, needle, and/or seat, as 1badKX mentioned. On many bikes, there is a drain screw for the float bowl. It may be loose/open. The tank shouldn't be the problem unless it has developed pressure, which would be eliminated by loosening the cap. Let us know what you find, or if you need more instruction.

Old 04-03-02, 01:49 AM
jay2k
Visiting Guest
Question Honda CR80

thanx for the tips, i also went to a local bike shop and asked for advice, and i took the carb apart completely myself afterwards. None of the floats were damaged or sticky. The man in the bike shop said that inside the carb where the floats cut off the fuel when it gets too full there is a small metal lever which cuts off the petrol and i should try bending it bit by bit so that the petrol would cut off before the floats reached the top. I tried this and ended up bending the piece of metal until the bike started to cut out in third gear at slow revs (which it didnt b4) and the petrol would still leak out when i stopped the engine. So i bent it back so the engine had enough petrol but the carb is still leaking. New carb will cost me 140 and i dont want to have to pay that. Any other suggestions please?

Old 04-03-02, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try taking the carb off, removing the float bowl, and connecting it to the gas line. Hold the carb in the same position as it would be if mounted on the bike, and turn on the gas. When gas comes out at the float needle, lift up on the float to shut the needle valve. If it still leaks gas out, you have a bad needle and/or seat. Or...the possibility of a cracked housing or other damage.

Be extra careful to keep away from sparks and flames while doing this!