Ignition Problem

Old 04-02-02, 10:37 PM
mttmach
Visiting Guest
briggs/stratton will not start, but does if...

Need help with my 5 hp briggs and stratton engine. I've found out that the only way I could get the engine started is by holding the spark plug wire slightly above the spark plug (without touching it) then pull the crank and creating a spark from the spark plug wire to the spark plug. The engine runs as long as I maintain the gap, but as soon as I place the wire on the spark plug it shuts off. It seems like the spark plug wire is grounding-out the engine????? HELP.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-02, 07:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Question More Detailed Information Requested

Hello and Welcome mttmach to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

The air gap between the ignition wire and the top of the spark plug creates a much higher voltage to be developed by the ignition coil.

The higher voltage may be required if the spark plug is gapped too wide or fouled. Try replacing the plug if needed or clean and regap the existing one.

Since you did not state the year and model of the engine, the forum has no info on the type of ignition system. Solid state or points and condenser ignition.

Each type of ignition system can develope several different problems causing an engine ignition system to fail or lack sufficient voltage, etc.

What type system is on the engine?
What is the year and model of the engine?

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the professionals in this forum to follow the topic and reply with additional helpful advice and suggestions.

Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 04-03-02, 08:26 PM
mttmach
Visiting Guest
ignition problem

Hey Tom thanks for the response.

The engine I'm having problems with is a Briggs and Stratton 5HP single cylinder "L" head, Model 130202, Type 4015-01, Code 90051710. It uses the Magnetron ignition system.

I'll try changing the spark plug and adjusting the gap to see if that is the problem. Thanks again for helping a rookie do it yourselfer. Great forum with a reponse to every question.