Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Mower Problem

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 10:53 AM   #1  
cwneed
Lawn Mower Problem

I have a self propelled Craftsman 6.5 horse power mower. Unfortunately I ran over a tree stump at teh end of last year and the engine immediately stopped. I restarted it and could tell that it was not running properly but i continued mowing with a little toying of the throttle bar while mowing. I went to fix it or get it fixed for the new season and was wondering if anyone could provide info as to the possible problem so that if I pay someone to fix it I have a little knowledge. Or if i could fix it myself it would be even better. A neighbor told me he did the same thing and that Sears replaced the timing pin and it solved the problem. Does that sound accurate? I have not heard of a timing pin but I have never worked on a small engine. If it sounds right, is it easy to replace? Thanks for the help.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 01:27 PM   #2  
Fisher
The flywheel key is likely damaged, which affects
the engine's ignition timing. But also, the
shaft coming out of the bottom of the engine and
blade may be bent, which is not good. Self
propelled models are very difficult to fix other
than replacing the crankshaft, and sometimes the
bottom pan, which costs a lot compared to a new
mower. Just replacing a key on a mower with a
bent crank will be a short-term fix, as the mower will
vibrate badly, and things on the mower will crack
and fall off.
Fish
Take it to a shop so they can check it out for you.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-03-02, 08:15 PM   #3  
Generally, if the crankshaft is bent to a degree that will cause much damage, you will feel the mower vibrating badly, sometimes so badly that your hands go numb from holding the handlebar for a minute or 2. The flywheel key, as Fisher mentioned, is probably sheared. Not very hard to replace if you have the right tools. Just remove the flywheel, replace the key that holds it in place on the shaft, and reassemble. Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 08:30 PM   #4  
cwneed
Thanks for the info. I got a tip on how to test to see if the crankshaft is bent so I may try that.

At least I know some buzz words now(ie flywheel) that will give me a little info during the repair.

I'll post updates.

Thanks
C

Search this Thread