Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Questions

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 07:25 AM   #1  
J A Boggan
Sears mower

I have several questions; I have a Sears (Tecumseh) engine; model number 143.975506 5.5hp Eager 1. Can anyone tell me the equivalent Tecumseh model number for this engine. What are the correct intake and exhast valve clearances. Also, how critical are these settings.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-04-02, 07:59 PM   #2  
Hello: J A

There isn't much info provided here as to why the valve settings are being requested? Are you rebuilding the engine?

The valve clearances are extremely critical. If there isn't any real need to adjust them, best not to. Mower engines can run their entire service life without any valve adjustments needed.

Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 03:04 AM   #3  
J A Boggan
Sears mower

Tom,
I was requesting the information because I have completely rebuilt this engine. I had to reface the valve seats, grind the valves and lap the valves. The mower is newer than I have information on, but with my older information, the best I could tell the clearances were 0.008". Anyway, I set them at this and the engine runs fine. Thanks for your replay.

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 06:33 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Give Tecumseh an e-mail and they should be able to tell you in a jiffy.

Search this Thread